DescriptionCornell University Library Information Technologies (CUL-IT) seeks an enthusiastic software developer to work on arXiv.org and other repository systems. The repositories group is responsible for the development and maintenance of several repositories including arXiv.org (http://arxiv.org/), Project Euclid (http://projecteuclid.org/), our eCommons institutional repository (http://ecommons.cornell.edu/), and the CUL Archival Repository. The repositories group also contributes to development of linked data components for the library’s new discovery system. The successful candidate will be expected to balance innovation and stewardship in maintaining information systems that hundreds of thousands of library users rely upon. A significant portion of development work uses Perl/Catalyst, while we are adopting Ruby/Rails/Blacklight/Hydra for a number of new projects.
- Help develop the library’s evolving repository information architecture and services, and work with a small team collaborating with other CUL-IT, library, Cornell and partner institution staff. Design, write, test and implement software.
- Work with web design and usability teams to design, implement and evaluate user interface facilities.
- Determine task dependencies and execute development responsibilities accordingly.
- Manage development logistics and work closely with the operations team to modularize development responsibilities prudently.
- Develop and implement plans and tests to ensure product quality and performance assurance.
- Develop and follow effective documentation practices.
- Work with other CUL-IT staff and members of Cornell Information Technologies (who host/manage library servers) in addressing operation and maintenance issues.
- Provide technical support and maintenance for installed software systems
This is a five year appointment with possible extension dependent upon funding. On rare occasions the developer will be required to work on evenings or weekends to install or upgrade software at low-use times.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
- Demonstrated experience developing substantial software projects in one or more of Perl, Ruby or Python, and a willingness to learn and work in other languages.
- Ability to manage complex software development in a team environment using tools such as Git and Jira.
- Excellent trouble-shooting and problem-solving skills with both new and legacy code. Ability to work on a variety of systems using different technologies and to learn new skills as required.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Proven ability to work productively in a supportive role with colleagues and in a team environment, and also be self-motivated and possess good independent decision-making abilities.
- Able to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Detail oriented with good record-keeping skills and documentation habits — both in programming and as part of business practice.
- Experience with Unix/Linux system administration and PHP highly desirable.
- Experience with Java; with MVC/web frameworks in Perl/Ruby/Python; with open source components such as Solr/Lucene, Apache; platforms such as Fedora, Blacklight, Hydra, DSpace; and standards and protocols such as RDF, Atom, RSS, OAI-PMH desirable.
- Experience working on open source projects desirable.
- Knowledge of TeX/LaTeX text processing systems a plus.
One of the leading academic research libraries in the United States, Cornell University Library is a highly valued partner in teaching, research and learning at the university. With an operating budget of over $58 million and a diverse and innovative staff of more than 400, the Library supports 2,700 faculty, 22,000 students and 94 PhD fields. Its world class collections, expert librarians, responsive services in physical and virtual library spaces inspire and nourish scholarship and learning.
Cornell University is an Ivy League comprehensive research university located in Ithaca in the scenic Finger Lakes region of upstate New York. The town and university offer a unique cosmopolitan and international atmosphere in a beautiful natural setting of waterfalls, gorges, and lakes.
See posting at: http://goo.gl/dy9vRX
How to apply
Published: Monday, August 5, 2013 16:01 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC