Web Application/Software Developer at Archive-It
Created: August 2, 2013
Internet Archive San Francisco0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe Internet Archive is looking for a smart, collaborative and resourceful engineer to lead and do the development of the next generation of the Archive-It service, a web based application used by libraries and archives around the world. The Internet Archive is a digital public library founded in 1996. Archive-It is a self-sustaining revenue generating subscription service first launched in 2006.
Primary responsibilities would be to extend the success of Archive-It, which librarians and archivists use to create collections of digital content, and then make them accessible to researchers, scholars and the general public. Widely considered to be the market leader since its' inception, Archive-It's partner base has archived over five billion web pages and over 260 terabytes of data. http://archive-it.org
Working for Archive-It program's director, this position has technical responsibility to evolve this service to include archiving social network sites and dynamic content while still being straightforward enough to be operated by hundreds of users with minimal technical skills. Our current system is primarily Java based and we are looking to help build the next-generation of Archive-It using the latest web technologies. The ideal candidate will possess a desire to work collaboratively with a small internal team and a large, vocal and active user community; demonstrating independence, creativity, initiative and technological savvy, in addition to being a great programmer/architect.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 5+ years work experience in Java and Python web application development
- Experience with Hadoop, specifically HBase and Pig
- Experience developing web application database back-end (SQL or NoSQL).
- Good understanding of latest web framework technologies, both JVM and non-JVM based, and trade-offs between them.
- Experience with a variety of web applications, machine clusters, distributed systems, and high-volume data services.
- Flexibility and a sense of humor
- BS Computer Science, or equivalent work experience
- Experience with web crawlers and/or applications designed to display [archived] web content (especially server-side apps)
- Open source practices experience
- Experience and/or interest in user interface design and information architecture
- Familiarity with Apache SOLR or similar facet-based search technologies
- Experience with the building/architecture of social media sites
Please send your resume and cover letter to kristine at archive dot org with the subject line "Web App Developer Archive-It".
The Archive thanks all applicants for their interest, but advises that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC