DescriptionThe West Vancouver Memorial Library is an innovative, lively, well-used and well-supported public library with an engaged community and a dedicated staff. We have an immediate opening for a permanent, full-time Information Services Department Head. The Information Services Department’s portfolio includes general information service, collections, adult programming, as well as outreach to specific populations such as seniors and newcomers.
Reporting to the Director of Library Services, this position is responsible for managing the operations of the Information Services Department. Responsibilities include:
- Planning, organizing, managing and evaluating the operations of the Information Services Department in alignment with the Library’s Strategic Plan;
- Working collaboratively with community organizations, other District departments, library systems, and other organizations to design and deliver high impact services;
- Working collaboratively with other senior staff and in cross-functional teams to plan, organize, and evaluate responsive and innovative customer service, programs, and collections;
- Planning, assigning, and supervising the work of both permanent and casual professional and clerical staff, and ensuring staff have the support, training, and resources to successfully complete their work;
- Selecting, training, directing, and evaluating the work of staff in the Information Services Department;
- Preparing and managing the department’s operating and capital budgets;
- Planning and coordinating collection development for print, multimedia, and digital formats;
- Representing the library on professional committees and at meetings;
- Participating in employee and labour relations matters; and,
- Other related duties as required.
- The preferred candidate will possess considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of the objectives, organization, and procedures of the library; considerable knowledge of the methods, techniques, practices, and procedures related to the management of the department and implementation of library programs, projects, services, technologies, and policies; proven dedication to excellence in customer service; and the ability to effectively communicate the value of library services to a variety of audiences.
The successful candidate is required to supply a criminal record check and a copy of their credentials.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licences and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the Job Profile attached to the posting on our website at www.westvancouver.ca/careers.
Published: Thursday, August 1, 2013 13:04 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC