State University of New York at Geneseo seeks a service-oriented, enthusiastic and energetic individual to provide reference, library instruction, scholarly communications and outreach in an active liberal arts environment. This librarian will primarily serve as liaison to the AACSB-accredited and highly ranked School of Business, in addition to other academic departments within the social sciences.
Major responsibilities will include:
- General and subject-specific reference assistance in the social sciences with particular emphasis in business and statistics/data sources (e.g., data.un.org, census.gov, etc.)
- Liaison, providing outreach to academic, student services and community programs in the School of Business , as well as various social sciences, including; Geography, Political Science & International Relations, etc.
- Participation in and development of specialized information literacy instruction for the School of Business and social sciences
- Participation in the library's general instruction program for undergraduates
- Engagement in collection development and information resources management in the aforementioned departments, including a small government documents collection
- Participation (in collaboration with other library and academic departments) in digital and scholarly communication projects, and collaborative programs with; Student Ambassadors from the Center for Inquiry, Discovery and Leadership, the Charles L. VanArsdale Endowed Chair for Entrepreneurship and Small Business, the Small Business Development Center (SUNY Geneseo) and the Chamber of Commerce (Geneseo)
Management of data sets including:
- Providing reference and research support in retrieving statistical data and quantitative/qualitative data sets
- Serving as library liaison for advising on the acquisition of data sets for campus use
- In tandem with the Digital Scholarship Librarian, support digital library initiatives such as statistical data repository creation at a campus level
This is a 12-month, full-time tenure-track faculty position at the Senior Assistant Librarian level with attendant expectations for professional competence, service and scholarship. Initial appointment is for two years. Some evening and weekend work is required.
- Master's degree in information and/or library science from an ALA-accredited school or an ALA-approved foreign equivalent;
- Strong commitment to enhancing service through teamwork and responsiveness to faculty, students, and colleagues;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication and project management skills;
- Commitment to providing high-quality public service within a flexible and continually evolving academic library environment
- Degree in business or statistics or experience in a business/corporate library;
- Experience using social science data sources and government document publications;
- Commitment to the instructional mission of the academic library;
- Previous teaching experience in library research methods or other relevant subject areas;
- Academic reference desk experience;
- Knowledge of and comfort with many forms of technology, including software such as SPSS.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications/experience. Comprehensive benefits package included.
SUNY Geneseo is a highly selective public liberal arts college with approximately 5000 students. The campus is located in the historic village of Geneseo in the Finger Lakes region of Western New York, just south of Rochester. The college is consistently ranked by several rating services as being among the best public undergraduate institutions in the country. Geneseo is a member of the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges.
Apply online at <https://jobs.geneseo.edu> https://jobs.geneseo.edu and submit a letter of application, resume, and name/title/contact information of 3 professional references. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Review begins June 1, 2012.
All applicants are subject to drug and criminal background checks.
Questions may be directed to:
Coordinator of Instruction & Reference Services
Milne Library, SUNY Geneseo
1 College Circle
How to apply
Published: Sunday, May 13, 2012 03:51 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC