DescriptionPolk Library at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh is searching for an innovative, tech-focused librarian to join our growing team. UW Oshkosh is the largest of Wisconsin’s comprehensive universities, a sustainability-focused campus located on the Fox River. We’re adding a Systems Librarian position to a CS-degree-heavy library technology group to improve the quality of our online services. You’d be managing our ILS (typical), but also a growing number of open source and locally developed services; you would also coordinate our usability testing program to keep us on track. We have a brand new CMS-based website to improve, one or possibly two new resource discovery solutions to implement in the coming year, and plenty of ideas in the pipeline. We're looking for applicants with tech skills, energy, and a broad concept of what libraries can and should be doing online.
Responsible for the support and assessment of the library’s expanding web-based services. As part of the Library Technology Services team, work with web development, desktop support and other staff to continually maintain and improve these services, now the primary points of patron contact with the library. Manage the core resource discovery and integrated library systems as well as innovative open source and locally developed services in order to maximize access to academic information for students, faculty and staff. Lead user testing and other assessment of technology services to ensure that they meet current patron needs and usability expectations. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Master’s degree from an ALA accredited school of Library or Information Science; or Bachelor’s (or higher) degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Working knowledge of XML, HTML and related web technologies.
- Familiarity with library services, especially in an academic library context.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with any core library technology systems: integrated library system, resource discovery, federated search, link resolver, proxy server, interlibrary loan or e-reserve systems.
- Experience with user testing of software systems
- Experience with Linux or related server environments.
- Experience with any programming languages.
- Broad vision of a modern academic library’s role online.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, May 10, 2012 23:31 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC