Touro is a system of Jewish-sponsored non-profit institutions of higher and professional education. Touro College was chartered in 1970 primarily to enrich the Jewish heritage, and to serve the larger American community. Approximately 19,000 students are currently enrolled in its various schools and divisions. Touro College has branch campuses, locations and instructional sites in the New York area, as well as branch campuses and programs in Berlin, Jerusalem, Moscow, Paris, and Florida. Touro University California and its Nevada branch campus, as well as Touro College Los Angeles and Touro University Worldwide, are separately accredited institutions within the Touro College and University System. For further information on Touro College, please go to: http://www.touro.edu/media/.
Touro seeks a self-directed developer/sysadmin committed to excellent user service, to maintain and grow our web presence. Management is non-technical, so the Developer will be required to take initiative in planning the Libraries' web projects and overall direction, as well as keeping up to date on web and mobile practice, and bringing it to our sites. Our week is 35 hours with no expectation of working after hours, excepting server emergencies.
We run Drupal 6, Mediawiki and several MVC applications on a single Ubuntu server. Our stack includes nginx, symfony, Kohana, jQuery, Apache Solr, MySQL, Nagios, and Puppet. One full-time support technician reports to this position. Some of our sites are:
- http://www.tourolib.org/ (Drupal)
- http://www.tidhar.tourolib.org/ (Kohana, Solr search)
- http://facpubs.tourolib.org/ (symfony)
Includes the following but not limited to:
- web development
- systems administration
- user support
- occasional training of non-technical library staff
- participation in college-wide IT committee
Education, Preparation, and Training
- Bachelor's degree
- Project management experience
- User support background
- Desirable but not required: library experience, especially integrated library systems (we use III); knowledge of Hebrew
- Extensive Use of Computers
- Extensive time sitting
- Ability to lift 5 lbs.
- 2+ years PHP experience on LAMP
- DVCS (we use git)
- Linux command line
- Apache or nginx configuration
- Experience with CMS, including management of contributed modules
- Desirable but not required: Drupal, symphony, nginx configuration, Basic Perl experience, Experience compiling software from source (we do this for PHP and nginx)
To apply, send resume, cover letter, and code samples to email@example.com
No calls or third parties, please.
Touro College is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. Our practices and employment decisions regarding employment, hiring, assignment, promotion, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment are not to be based on an employee's race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, military discharge status, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic predisposition, housing status, or any other protected status, in accordance with applicable law. Our policies are in conformance with Title IX, 1972 Education Amendments
How to apply
Published: Monday, April 30, 2012 09:40 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC