DescriptionThe Columbia Libraries Information Technology Office seeks a Systems Engineer. The incumbent designs, develops and deploys Unix server and storage systems, while also supporting the maintenance and security of the servers. Additionally, the Systems Engineer also documents and provides support for Library/Information Services projects and services and collaborates on projects with other departments as necessary. Reporting to the Senior Systems Engineer, responsibilities include:
- Designs, installs, documents, secures, monitors, optimizes and maintains Linux (primarily
- Develops or modifies, tests, implements, troubleshoots, and documents both vendor-supplied
and in-house applications on servers;
- Manage security policies, access permissions and disaster recovery for mission-critical data on
servers and desktop systems;
- Collaborate on projects and related activities with other Library/Information Services units,
Columbia University IT, other schools and departments at Columbia, and outside institutions;
- May supervise or train staff as necessary
Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of three years of related experience (or equivalent combination of education and experience). In-depth knowledge of Unix/Linux environment. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Knowledge of programming principles and at least one higher-level programming language. Must be able to balance priorities and meet deadlines on multiple tasks.
Experience with MySQL, virtualization with Xen, CentOS, configuration management systems (Saltstack), Python, Ruby, storage/backup management, systems monitoring.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC