Junior Systems Programmer
Salary Scale: $51,332.65-$61,293.87
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Provides systems programming support and technical consultation for Ryerson's Library and Archives by assisting in the creation and implementation of information systems and investigating library system problems to ensure wide availability and security in support of all library services.Qualifications
- Successful completion of a post-secondary degree program in computer science or other information technology programs. A minimum of 1 year experience with various software development processes, installing open source software systems and developing efficient algorithms is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated experience in creating, maintaining, customizing, testing, tuning and debugging information systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to provide advice to library staff on trends and developments in Information Technology; as well as train Library staff in the use of new technologies; document and prepare user manuals for new software, scripts and procedures.
- Attention to detail to prepare accurate documentation is required.
- A demonstrated commitment to client service - specifically students, staff, faculty and external contacts; strong interpersonal skills and tact and diplomacy are required when investigating problems related to servers, devices and documents.
- Ability to make decisions on completing assignments while still remaining within standard practices and methods.
- A demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and be available for on-call coverage during critical periods or after modifications.
Candidates may be asked to demonstrate qualifications through occupational testing. Candidates must have a demonstrated record of dependability/reliability and a commitment to maintain confidentiality.
Deadline to Apply: Friday May 4, 2012 (4:30pm) - Apply OnlineUnofficial Notes:
The description and qualifications are fairly general on purpose. We are open to hiring someone who doesn't know specific languages, but is willing to learn. Nevertheless, we would like the new programmer to be complementary to our current programmer (that's right, singular; it's a small team), so we would prefer someone with web experience, but we encourage anyone with programming knowledge and experience who has interest in software and web development.
So here's the preferences and bonus points list (not related to any actual points system):
- Knowledge of web development
- Graphics design is a big plus
- ColdFusion is a bonus, because we have it
- Linux Server environment
- Ability to work in a small, flexible team
Last note: it says on-call coverage, but it's minimal, so don't let that scare you away!
How to apply
Published: Monday, April 23, 2012 15:52 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC