DescriptionThe Department of Archives at the University of Mississippi seeks applicants for the position of Digital Initiatives Librarian. The position is a twelve month, tenure track, assistant professorship. Reports to the Head of Special Collections and coordinates selected digital initiatives projects regarding the overall management (production, capture, access, description and preservation) of the UM digital intellectual output. To view current projects, see http://clio.lib.olemiss.edu/archives/
Oversees the technical details needed to manage and expand our digital program, including: digitizing textual, image, audio, and video materials; metadata creation; migrating digital resources; managing standards usage compliance; collaborating with other librarians; providing metadata training; supervision of student workers; management and preservation of electronic and born digital records; and additional digital project management. This position oversees EAD encoding and acts as liaison between Web Services and Technical Services. The position is also involved with providing reference service, presenting workshops/presentations, and planning for exhibitions. As a faculty member, the digital initiatives librarian is responsible for scholarly publishing and active library, statewide and national professional service & development.
The successful candidate will have knowledge of digitization standards and best practices; experience with or knowledge of the principles of electronic records management and preservation; familiarity with common metadata schemas such as EAD, Dublin Core, MARC, XML, METS, etc.; experience with archival management systems such as Archon and Archivists’ Toolkit; and familiarity with archival best practices.
The incumbent will:
- Use knowledge of controlled vocabulary and thesauri creation and maintenance
- Plan, initiate and implement effective digital programs
- Work independently as well as collaboratively
- Meet tenure requirements and interest in ongoing professional development
- Use oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills and serve as a team member
- Masters degree from ALA accredited institution by date of appointment
- Experience encoding archival finding aids in EAD
- Experience working on digital projects
- Experience with current and emerging technologies in digital library services
- Experience with digital library products, such as CONTENTdm
- Working knowledge of nonMARC metadata schema, such as Dublin Core
- Experience working with archival management software such as Archivists’ Toolkit or Archon
Special instructions to applicants
Applicants will be asked to include a letter of application, vita, and the names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three current professional references (on the link entitled “Other 1”).
This position requires a background check upon hire.
Upon hire, faculty members of the University must provide an official transcript. Transcripts “issued to students” in a sealed envelope are not accepted for employment purposes. Request an official transcript to be mailed directly to Human Resources: University of Mississippi, Attn: Human Resources, P.O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677-1848.
Please check to see which documents (i.e., resume, CV, cover letter, list of references) are associated with this posting. Prior to applying for the position, prepare the electronic versions of these documents to upload or to “copy and paste” when prompted. You will not have the opportunity to attach them after you apply.
All positions will be open until an adequate applicant pool has been reached.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, July 11, 2013 14:07 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC