DescriptionThe Outreach & Electronic Resources Librarian is responsible for understanding and meeting the State Library’s users’ information needs through regular in-person and virtual outreach. Information resources made available by the State Library are primarily electronic; this librarian is responsible for increasing and improving the experience of using electronic resources offered by the Library Information Services program at the Montana State Library. The librarian applies his or her skills and creativity to build and maintain relationships with State Library users in order to better understand their information needs and, as a member of the Library Information Services team and within available resources, works to align the library’s growing variety of electronic resources to meet users' identified needs, and to maintain user access to these services, and systems infrastructure. Successful candidates will demonstrate their experience performing duties similar to those described below.
Application materials required initially for this position include the following:
1.) Signed and completed State of Montana Employment Application. If not submitting online, the application may be found at http://mt.gov/statejobs/application.asp.
2.) Also required is a cover letter that
• Describes the applicant’s work experience initiating, attending and introducing oneself at regular in-person and virtual meetings with library users to become familiar with their current information sources, perceived information gaps, and actual information needs.
• Describes in appropriate detail the applicant’s level of expertise stemming from work and/or personal use of social media tools.
• Describes a work or personal experiences indicating outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
Applications must be received by July 28, 2013 to be considered for the first round of screenings. If a suitable candidate is found in that screening, no further consideration will be made of applications received after that date. Interviews are tentatively planned for the week of August 5.
Please note that MSL is not able to sponsor a visa at this time so all candidates must be eligible to work in the United States when they apply.
• Initiate, attend and introduce oneself at regular in-person and virtual meetings with state employees and Montana librarians to become familiar with their current information sources, perceived information gaps, and actual information needs. Coordinate participation in these meetings with the State Publications Librarian in order to further the aims of the state publications management plan.
• As part of outreach, create with other staff in-person and online presentations (live and/or recorded) that maximize and communicate the value of the library’s electronic resources and services.
• Responsible for understanding and using all library discovery tools, catalogs, databases and registering for all library services in order to gain the perspective of library users. Use this perspective to create and provide instruction on use of library resources and services.
• Use social media for outreach, reputation management, and conducting information needs assessment in accordance with MSL policies on employee use of social media.
• Coordinate with other LIS staff the testing, purchase, use, management, renewal, and cancellation of single-library electronic resources. Activities include conducting product trials, trouble-shooting technical issues, resolving authentication issues, customizing user interfaces, publicizing resources, gathering statistics and feedback and making recommendations to the LIS manager for the maintenance or discontinuation of resources.
• Work with other staff to design, implement, and document efficient workflows, policies, standards, goals and procedures to ensure effective and efficient discovery, access, and delivery of electronic resources.
• Participate in assessment methods including usage, usability, and value in order to continuously improve library services.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Work experience in electronic resource management, selection, acquisition, access, and trouble-shooting.
• Work experience with these or similar library software: EBSCOhost, EBSCOnet, SirsiDynix integrated library system.
• Work experience with OpenURL linking technologies and authentication mechanisms.
• Knowledge of current and emerging technologies and practices in electronic resource management.
• Outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Able and willing to exercise professional judgment with collegiality, flexibility, and accuracy.
• Able and willing to learn new applications.
• Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office applications use of social media and use of web content management systems.
• Experience with SirsiDynix integrated library system currently used by MSL.
Master's degree in Library Science (MLS) from an American Library Association accredited library school. A post-graduate degree in a related discipline may be substituted for an MLS.
Published: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 12:18 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC