DescriptionThe Minnesota Historical Society (MHS) seeks an Archival Processing Assistant to support the work of the professional archival catalogers in all six relevant collections holding areas: manuscripts, government records, photographs, sound & moving image materials; and on occasion books and 3D objects, ensuring that the shifting demands in the several holding areas are addressed efficiently and quickly. This is a full-time, project position (2,088 annual hours) located at the History Center in St. Paul, MN and working through June 30, 2015. Renewal is dependent upon available funding and program need.
SUMMARY OF WORK
Responsibilities include: 1) organizes and arranges acquisitions of manuscripts, government records, photos, sound and moving image media, and occasionally other materials so that collections will be accessible and usable; 2) prepares content lists and accompanying narrative descriptions, or integrates content information into existing finding aids, and helps manage digital files; and 3) creates and manages digital content as directed by professional catalogers.
- High school diploma plus two years experience or formalized training within a professional discipline OR a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in history, American studies or a related field plus one year program experience or equivalent.
- One year experience in archival processing or digitization projects.
- Strong technical knowledge of digital imaging practices, standards, techniques, and procedures.
- Basic knowledge of archival appraisal and processing, archival cataloging standards, and encoded archival description (EAD).
- Experience working with XML applications.
- Demonstrated ability to create accurate descriptive metadata.
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit descriptive narratives.
- Ability to handle old and sometimes fragile materials carefully.
- Physical ability to lift and maneuver collection storage containers weighing 40 pounds.
- Physical tolerance to dust and inactive mold spores.
- Knowledge of MHS collections.
- Knowledge of Minnesota history.
SALARY: $2,856.00 monthly minimum
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications must be received or post-marked no later than July 12, 2013.
TO APPLY: Send an MHS application, cover letter, and resume to: Minnesota Historical Society, Human Resources Department, #1049 Archival Processing Assistant position, 345 Kellogg Blvd W, St Paul, MN 55102-1906. To be considered an applicant, you must submit all requested application materials. If not complete, your application materials will not be accepted and your materials will be returned. If submitting materials for more than one position, provide an MHS application, cover letter and resume for each position. Applicants who are offered employment will be subject to passing a background check as a condition of employment. For an application, see our website at www.mnhs.org/about/jobs or call MHS Job Line 651-259-3181. EEO
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC