Senior Metadata Assistant
Created: June 25, 2013
Rice University Houston1 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe Senior Metadata Assistant provides cataloging for library resources (except serials) that have metadata records supplied by libraries other than the Library of Congress or selected OCLC member libraries. This position supplies original metadata records and classification for works of fiction without copy, certain variant editions, music materials, and digitized resources. In addition, s/he provides library users discovery and access to the Library collection by editing and upgrading minimal or inaccurate catalog records regardless of the source, including supplying Library of Congress classification and controlled headings from select vocabularies.
Other Skills Required
- Working knowledge of at least one modern Western language sufficient to perform and/or verify subject analysis.
- Working knowledge of Anglo-American Cataloging Rules II (AACR2), MARC formats, and Library of Congress classification and subject headings.
- Working knowledge of at least one metadata schema other than AACR2 or RDA.
- Positive record of working well with others.
- Effective and accurate oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to do precise, detailed work following specific instructions.
- Ability to work independently after initial training.
- Reading knowledge of two or more modern European languages. Specific subject background or field of study, such as Music.
- Experience working with the Sirsi Symphony integrated library system platform.
- Physical Demands
- Significant time is spent at a personal computer workstation keying in detailed information, up to 8 hours a day. May need to move loaded book carts.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 16:31 UTC