Library Server and Applications Administrator
Temple University — Philadelphia
0 other recent jobs
Created: March 8, 2012
The Library Server and Applications Administrator is responsible for management and administration of the Library’s servers and client-server applications, and other specialized applications including but not limited to Archivists Toolkit, EZProxy, Innovative Interfaces Millennium ILS, Ariel, ARES, ILLiad, KACE, and other examples. The position is responsible for coordinating the setup of virtual machines and installation and configuration of applications (in conjunction with Computer Services’s University’s Data Center system and network administrators). This position is responsible for application account management, user accounting, system security and maintenance; application updates, patches, and revisions, application configuration and user support, network configuration, and application troubleshooting. The Library Server and Applications Administrator maintains contacts with software vendors, third-party support and/or integration services, and regional user groups. This position works closely with University Libraries staff, as well as Computer Services staff including Data Center system administrators, Information Security, and Network Services staff. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in information systems or related field and at least two (2) years experience managing server-based applications. An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Strong customer-service orientation and excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated experience with Linux and Windows server administration and management of server-based applications.
- Demonstrated ability to manage enterprise-wide server-based applications and other specialty applications.
- Demonstrated experience installing and troubleshooting clients which interact with server based applications.
- Ability to work independently with flexibility, initiative, and creativity.
- Demonstrated analytical, organizational, oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of disaster Recovery planning, implementation, and best practices.
- Ability to be on call for system emergencies to work on occasional evenings or weekends for system upgrades or fixes.
- Demonstrated skills with Internet and networking protocols and standards.
- Ability to oversee transition of systems from Library Data Center to Central University Data Center. Ability to maintain locally-based servers during the transition period or as needed.
- Ability to provide technical assistance to library staff with a strong customer-service orientation.
- Experience working in library environment with Librarians and other Library professionals
- Experience working with Library enterprise-wide server-based applications and other specialty library applications, including ILS systems (Millennium preferred), Interlibrary Loan applications, Electronic Reserve systems, and other Primary Discovery and Delivery applications, Archival and Digitization applications (such as Archivist’s Toolkit, InMagic Archival accession and inventory system, and CONTENTdm or D-Space), and Knowledge Management systems.
- Familiarity with library operations, systems and automation.
- Experience with Drupal-based systems and technical writing and documentation experience.
- Knowledge of storage networking concepts and network-attached storage devices
- Experience providing training to persons at varying technical levels
- Adept with relational database management systems (such as MySQL, or Microsoft SQL.)
Compliance Statement: In the performance of their functions as detailed in the position description employees have an obligation to avoid ethical, legal, financial and other conflicts of interest to ensure that their actions and outside activities do not conflict with their primary employment responsibilities at the institution. Employees are also expected to understand and be in compliance with applicable laws, University and employment policies and regulations, including NCAA regulations for areas and departments which their essential functions cause them to interact.
To apply for this position, please visit www.temple.edu, click on Jobs@Temple, and reference TU-15121. For full consideration, please submit your completed electronic application, along with a cover letter and resume, by March 23, 2012.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, March 8, 2012 18:17 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC