DescriptionJob Title Digitization Support Technician
Location Doha, QA
Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development is a private, chartered, nonprofit organization, founded in 1995 by His Highness Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani, Emir of Qatar. Guided by the principle that a nation's greatest resource is the potential of its people, Qatar Foundation aims to develop that potential through a network of centers devoted to progressive education, research and community welfare.
This position will provide experience in the field of Library and its digitization projects. QNL gets various requests to digitize important resources for archiving and preservation purposes. The digitization technician is responsible for digitizing these items (scan, process, OCR and create structural metadata). Some digitized items are used for the World Digital Library partnership and will also be used for the QF/BL Gulf History Project.
- Scan rare manuscripts, books, maps, newspapers, magazines, photos and microfilms using specialized Scanners as per standards defined by the library.
- Performs image processing on the scanned images such as Colour curve correction, Resolution setting, Image compression settings, image format setting, deskewing, noise removal, etc.
- Visually check the quality of the digitized images by inspecting the colour accuracy, cropping, skewing, toning, legibility, rotation, file format, resolution, sequence and completeness of pages, contrast, brightness etc.
- Perform Optical Character Recognition over the digital images, proofread the OCR output to check the accuracy of the OCR output, correct OCR and create fonts if required.
- Calibrates the scanners and monitors periodically using project predefined techniques.
- Create Structural metadata for digitized items. To assist with other digitization projects and other tasks as assigned
- Handle digitizing items with utmost care to prevent damage during digitization.
- Keep abreast of developments, trends and issues in areas of responsibility
- Participate in team work and committees as needed
- Perform miscellaneous duties and conduct special projects as assigned
- Familiarize, understand and implement QF health, safety, and environment policy, procedures, legal regulations and objectives applicable to areas of responsibility.
- Ensures coordination with HSE department in implementing, monitoring and reviewing of HSE performance to ensure work under his/her control is performed in a safe, healthy and environmentally sound manner.
- Bachelors Degree in Science or Technology.
- Minimum 1 year experience working in a professional digitization laboratory digitizing rare manuscripts, books, maps, etc.
- Basic understanding of Color Management, Image Processing and Image formats.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge in Digitization process and Digitization Workflow management.
- Experience working with specialized book scanners such as Zeutschel, Microbox, I2S, Atiz, etc.
- Experience using image processing tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Scanfix,
Source: University of Toronto iSchool
How to apply
Published: Thursday, May 23, 2013 13:16 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC