Discovery Services Librarian - #942036 J.Y. Joyner Library East Carolina University
Known for its leadership in distance learning and its mission to serve, J.Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University (ECU) seeks an innovative, curious, flexible colleague to fill the newly-created position of Discovery Services Librarian. As head of the new Discovery Services department, the successful candidate will imagine, define, implement, and support the next generation of library discovery systems.
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Assistant Director for Library Technology, the Discovery Services Librarian will:
- Provide leadership and vision in the management, support, integration, and administration of the Library's suite of information management and discovery systems
- Work collaboratively with ECU Libraries' faculty and staff to evaluate the Libraries' online resource discovery environment and to develop and implement strategies and innovative solutions to improve external and internal user experience and maximize system functionality
- Chair or co-chair library discovery committees
- Serve as head of the Discovery Services department and supervise two to three staff whose responsibilities include administering the integrated library system
- Monitor trends and best practices in library discovery; recommend and facilitate improvements to existing systems and services
- ALA-accredited masters' degree or international equivalent in library or information science
- Two or more years of relevant library experience
- Knowledge of current and emerging models and tools used by libraries for resource discovery
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, plan, coordinate, and implement complex projects and services
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues
- Demonstrated commitment to addressing user needs
- Knowledge of data standards prevalent in libraries
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to interact with audiences of diverse technical backgrounds
- Ability to achieve tenure through effective job performance, scholarly publication, and service activities
- Experience managing an integrated library system, discovery tool, and/or other large-scale enterprise system
- Experience selecting, planning and/or implementing an integrated library system, discovery tool, and/or other large-scale enterprise system
- Knowledge of database management systems and applications
- Experience addressing usability issues and with user-centered design
- Supervisory experience
- Additional advanced degree
Finalists will make a brief presentation during the on-campus interview.
Academic Library Services: Academic Library Services: Academic Library Services (ALS) supports the campus community's mission of teaching, research, and service. It holds membership in the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (ASERL) and is a selective federal depository library. ALS is supported by an operating budget of $7.5 million, a materials budget of $4.5 million, and a staff of 105, including 40 faculty members. The Library's virtual infrastructure consists of a combination of vendor-based, open source, and locally developed resources using a variety of programming languages, primarily in a Windows environment. Key components include: SirsiDynix Symphony ILS; Serials Solutions e-resource discovery, access and management products; and an institutional repository powered by DSpace. Visit the Library's web site at http://www.ecu.edu/lib for additional information.
ALS recognizes that diversity and respect for human differences within the academy is a key source of intellectual vitality and innovative spirit, and encourages genuine respect for individual backgrounds, lifestyles, experiences, perspectives and opinions. ALS invites candidates from diverse backgrounds who will contribute affirmatively and creatively to the university's multicultural environment. We seek candidates who reflect the rich mix of backgrounds, life experiences, cultures, perspectives and world views found within our university and community.
Located in Greenville, North Carolina, ECU enrolls over 27,000 students. It is a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina and offers 104 bachelor's degree programs, 73 master's degree programs and 38 certificate programs. In addition, it offers 18 doctoral programs (Ph.D., Ed.D.).
The campus is located approximately 80 miles east of Raleigh, and 80 miles west of the Atlantic Ocean. Additional information about ECU is available at http://www.ecu.edu.
ECU is a leader in the state in distance learning initiatives and holds Doctoral/Research Universities status as defined by The Carnegie Foundation.
Rank, Salary, and Benefits: This is a twelve-month tenure track faculty position with a comprehensive fringe benefits package. Professional achievement, service, and research/creative activity are required for tenure and promotion. Rank and salary negotiable and commensurate with candidate's experience and professional achievement (minimum salary of $50,000).
Application Process: Screening of applications will begin March 15, 2012, and continue until the position is filled. Start date is negotiable. All applicants must apply online through ECU's employment website at http://www.jobs.ecu.edu.
Additional materials (letter of application; resume; and names and addresses, postal and email, of three current references) can be attached to the application electronically, copies of transcripts may be sent by mail to:
Discovery Services Librarian
Ms. Mary Sweatte, Library Personnel Administrator
2400 Joyner Library, Mail Stop 516
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
Official transcripts for required degrees must be received prior to any offer of employment. Proper documentation of identity and employability are required at the time of employment. A criminal background report will be completed on the chosen candidate. East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action University that accommodates individuals with disabilities. Individuals requesting accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) should contact the Department for Disability Support Services at (252) 737-1016 (Voice/TTY). Academic Library Services is dedicated to sustaining a diverse workforce and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.
******************************************************* Nara Newcomer Assistant Music Librarian Music Library, Fletcher Music Center, stop 506 Academic Library Services East Carolina University Greenville, NC 27858-4520 Phone: (252) 328-1241 Fax: (252) 328-1243 email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC