DescriptionSystems Engineer, Library Technology
Harvard University IT Library Technology Services (LTS) is seeking an Applications Platform Analyst to build, manage, and maintain scalable and robust application server environments for central library systems used in the academic and research mission of the University. This position supports a variety of library services, including home-grown, third party vended and open source applications. S/he integrates applications into existing infrastructure, troubleshoots and resolves technical issues and manages technical projects. The Library Systems Engineer works collaboratively with developers, systems librarians, vendors, systems administrators, and HUIT Infrastructure staff to build and maintain stable applications for the Harvard Library.
The key responsibilities include the following:
• Research, install, configure, troubleshoot, and maintain software such as Oracle, Cognos, MySQL, Tomcat, JBoss, Drupal and Apache.
• Specification, programming, implementation, and maintenance of programs, scripts, and procedures written in Perl, UNIX/Linux shell scripting, and PL/SQL.
• Project management for operations/infrastructure projects including developing project plans, setting and reviewing milestones, reporting status, and implementing within an established time frame.
• Enhance and maintain scripts used to extract data from a variety of application to build the Library Reporting Environment.
• Support applications written in Java, Perl, and PHP
• Work independently, as well as part of a team, to troubleshoot production failures
• Recommend permanent solutions to keep applications available and secure.
• Write and maintain documentation of procedures and workflow processes
To be considered for this role, candidates must have the following experience and skills:
• BS, preferably in Computer Science or Management Information Systems or Masters in Library and Information Science.
• 3 years professional experience in systems programming, technical support, or system administration.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Expertise with Unix/Linux (RHEL and CentOS), Oracle, Apache, Tomcat, and Glassfish.
• Experience with Perl, PL/SQL, and UNIX/Linux shell scripting
• Strong communication skills and ability to present ideas to people at different levels of management and technical expertise.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple competing priorities
• Available to participate in 7x24 on-call rotation
In addition to the required skills, the ideal candidate will have these highly desirable skills
• Experience working in academic libraries
• Experience with working with Cognos and data warehouses
• Solr, NoSQL and XML experience a plus
• Familiarity with open source software is desirable
• Willingness to learn and support new technology
• Familiarity with ITIL and IT Service Management concepts
• Please note: Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
• HUIT is unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
• This position has a 180-day probationary period.
To apply, please go to: http://bit.ly/WINj9z
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) brings together the Faculty and Sciences and Central Administration IT groups to create an environment that makes it easier for students, faculty and staff to learn, research, teach, and work through the effective deployment and use of information technology.
Vision - We aspire to be an organization with:
• Committed and skilled people accountable to Harvard’s mission and serving faculty and students
• Simple processes making it easy to work with us, do our jobs, and deliver results
• Innovative technology that is the right technology for the right reasons, including prudent experimentation.
To assure Harvard’s leadership in IT, we strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology.
Harvard University’s Information Technology organization (HUIT) is organized by ten total service areas, two of which are strategic, two administrative, and six focused on IT service delivery. Each service area is led by a member of HUIT Senior Leadership Team.
Strategy & Planning
Innovation & Architecture
Academic Technology Services
Administrative Technology Services
Library Technology Services
To apply, please go to: http://bit.ly/WINj9z
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC