DescriptionTitle: Director of Digital Collections
Supervisor: Senior Director of the Library and Collections
Department: Digital Collections, Library Division
The Director of Digital Collections, a member of the library staff, is primarily responsible for managing the Digital Collections Department and overseeing special projects. This is a full-time, 40-hour per week (Monday-Friday, with Wednesday evenings as needed) position.
● Supervise Digital Collections and Cataloguing staff;
● Manage a growing digital image collection and its metadata;
● Manage the intellectual and physical access to the printed materials;
● Work with vendors and IT/Systems Administrator in the development and maintenance of HSP’s digital assets management system (DAMS), OPAC, and discovery tools;
● Oversee authority control work;
● Oversee processing of printed materials (labeling, book-plating, shelving, etc.);
● Stay apprised of current trends and technology for digital collections and cataloguing and provide guidance in tool selection for support of digital projects and online collection discovery;
● Evaluate and implement metadata standards with current and future systems and descriptive standards at HSP;
● Participate in organization-wide discussion and planning for strengthening HSP’s digitization program, forming digital access partnerships, and improving use of information technology for collection management and access;
● Develop policy and strategic planning for acquisition of digital materials, including born digital materials and digital surrogates of collections for which HSP does not hold the physical material;
● Play an active role in the development of HSP’s strategy and program for digitizing collection materials, including development of standards and guidelines for creating, managing, preserving, describing, and delivering files;
● Assist in the development of grant proposals for cataloging and digital projects, and oversee management of such grants;
● Work with the Digital Collections and Rights Manager on intellectual property policy and assessments;
● Manage and develop the department budget;
● Serve on HSP staff committees; and
● Oversee special projects as assigned; perform other duties as assigned.
Job Requirements: This position requires a graduate degree in Library Science, Information Science, Archival Administration, Fine Arts or a related field (or equivalent work experience); at least two years of relevant professional experience, including project management and design, OPAC management, management of digital collections; familiarity with appropriate metadata standards, and knowledge of digital librarianship; familiarity with image capture equipment, including maintenance and upgrades; in-depth knowledge of library/archives systems, procedures, and standards; excellent organizational, problem-solving, and communication skills. Special collections library experience and cataloguing experience preferred. Experience with XML, HTML, EAD, MARC, Dublin Core, Microsoft Access and Photoshop are required. Experience with Ex Libris Voyager, Archivists’ Toolkit, CollectiveAccess, VuFind, MySQL, PHP, XSLT, EAC, RDF, RDA and general open source software experience is preferred. Ability to lift 40 pounds preferred.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 23:22 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC