DescriptionLYRASIS, a non-profit membership organization serving Libraries and Cultural Heritage Organizations (LCHOs), seeks an experienced Data Migration Specialist.
The Data Migration Specialist will extract, transform, and load library data into Evergreen ILS as well as repository systems. The Specialist will not only help our members migrate to a new Evergreen ILS or Islandora-based repository, but also help create and maintain the tools used for such migrations. The ideal candidate will provide excellent technical support and customer service to LYRASIS members and customers. He or she will be able to effectively deal with stressful situations, work under pressure, meet inflexible deadlines and deal with difficult individuals and/or circumstances while maintaining composure. This individual must be able to work with project managers and client stakeholders to understand and refine project functional requirements, communicating complex issues effectively to internal staff, member staff, and external vendors. This person must also be effective in interacting with clients and gather requirements on various projects, working in a fast-paced environment with time sensitive projects and possessing a great attitude.
- Library Operations
- Technical Services
- Library Systems Administration
- Library Data Formats (including ISO 2709)
- Operating and Managing an ILS
- Shell Prompt
- Effective Communication – both oral and written
- Metadata Standards: RDA, Dublin Core, EAD, DACS, MARCXML, MODS, METS, TEI, and other emerging data standards
- Customer Service
- MLS or Equivalent
- Perform analysis of legacy data, data models, and advise member libraries on the best way to migrate and manipulate their data to LYRASIS-hosted ILS or repositories.
- Creation and documentation of scripts to facilitate the extraction, transformation and loading of legacy data.
- Perform data extracts, data translation, and data cleanup as part of larger projects to implement a new ILS or repository.
- Perform special data change and data cleanup projects.
- Provide excellent technical support to LYRASIS members and customers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with library operations and practices, particularly technical services and library systems administration.
- Experience with library data formats, including ISO 2709
- Knowledge of current metadata standards, including RDA, Dublin Core, EAD, DACS, MARCXML, MODS, METS, TEI, and other emerging data standards.
- Experience operating or managing an integrated library system is strongly preferred.
- Experience with Evergreen is preferred
- High comfort level with Linux, a shell prompt, scripting, SQL, PHP, XSL and programming.
- The ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Strong customer service focus.
- Ability to work well in a team environment with minimum direction.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience, including comprehensive benefits. The Data Migration Specialist will work in the Atlanta office if in the Atlanta, GA, area; telecommuting is an option for candidates outside of Atlanta.
To apply, please provide cover letter and resume, referencing job opening, to email@example.com or fax to 404.892.7879.
LYRASIS partners with member libraries and cultural heritage organizations to create, access and manage information with an emphasis on digital content, while building and sustaining collaboration, enhancing operations and technology, and increasing buying power. For more information, please visit www.lyrasis.org.
LYRASIS is an equal opportunity employer. LYRASIS reserves the right to alter the position overview, with or without notice to the employee. This position overview is not a contract of employment and does not alter the employment relationship. Every position overview is subject to modification to reasonably accommodate persons with disabilities.
Published: Thursday, April 11, 2013 14:59 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC