DescriptionWe are looking for a Director of Analytics who will be responsible for enabling data-driven decisions in the Wikimedia Foundation and the broader Wikimedia community. This is an exciting opportunity to lead the team and implement analytics across Wikimedia sites serving nearly 500 million people every month. You will have a unique opportunity to lead the development of open, reusable and privacy-sensitive solutions, and to advance the field. In this role you will also lead the effort to attract and develop the best analytics talent.
- Develop and implement a stakeholder-centric analytics strategy for Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects, consistent with Wikimedia’s commitment to user privacy, open source and open data
- Demonstrate thought leadership in response to trends in analytics and business intelligence, acting as an advocate for data-driven processes
- Be responsible for the analytics team’s technical strategy and development roadmap
- Grow, lead, and manage Wikimedia Foundation’s analytics team of data analysts and software engineers
- Develop and evolve a collection of metric definitions and analytics models that will provide a common approach to evaluating the performance and health of the Wikimedia Foundation and the Wikimedia movement
- Lead planning and analytical model development, exposing services/APIs, visualization and reporting, instrumentation in applications, etc.
- Provide technical and analytical support for the development and evaluation of data products that enable new insights and strengthen self-service capabilities
- Minimum of 3 years leading an Analytics team, or comparable leadership experience
- Minimum of 3 years working as a data analyst, data scientist, or software engineer
- Strong self-motivation, strategic thinking, solid organization and project management skills, and the ability to work in a collaborative team-oriented environment
- Willingness to get hands-on and provide insights into creative and appropriate analytics solutions
- Possess a mastery of analytics methods and tools with a functional understanding of open source web development best practices
- BA, MS, or PHD in statistics, mathematics, computer science, or another relevant field
- Experience as a Wikimedia contributor
- Advanced degree strongly preferred
- Experience designing products for large online communities
- Experience designing/developing open source software
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia and other free knowledge projects. Based in San Francisco, California, we currently employ over 150 staff and contractors globally. The Wikimedia Foundation is committed to creating a world in which every single human being can share in the sum of all knowledge. Wikimedia’s sites serve nearly 500 million unique visitors per month, making them the 5th most popular web property worldwide. Wikipedia is available in more than 280 languages and provides more than 25 million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of over 100,000 people. In an effort to continue our mission, we are hiring talented, creative and mission-oriented individuals to join the team.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC