DescriptionThe FIU Libraries are engaged in the transition from traditional media collections and services to a digital environment by focusing on digitizing local collections and content, collaborating with other university departments on implementing streaming media platforms in support of student learning, and participating in the effort to implement digital rights management for local intellectual assets.
The Libraries are seeking an individual with both technical knowledge and a commitment to end-user services to join our team in transforming the Librarie's media services. As the Head of the Sound & Image Department, the Digital Media Librarian will help keep the FIU Librarie's media resources vital to the research community.
The Digital Media Librarian collaborates with subject liaisons, the Digital Collections Center and Special Collections to manage the Libraries's media collections and services and recommends strategic priorities for the department, including the continued physical and digital development of the Latin American Popular Music Collection, which builds on the foundations of the Diaz-Ayala Cuban and the Sheila Thompson Brazilian Music Collections.
Working within the department and with colleagues at the Green Library (MMC) and Hubert Library (BBC), this librarian's primary responsibilities include:
- Leading the Sound & Image Department staff in the planning, provision, development and implementation of digital media resource projects and services.
- Collaborating with liaisons and Digital Collections Center staff to coordinate and manage best practices for video, audio, and image collections.
- Maintaining knowledge of the legal landscape for digital file conversion and usage of media materials in online formats.
- Serving as outreach liaison and public service contact for the Sound & Image Department.
- Overseeing the digitization of legacy media collections for both access and preservation
- Participating in the university-wide development and implementation of policies related to digital rights management, copyright and intellectual property standards.
- MLS from an ALA accredited program or equivalent.
- A minimum of two years post-MLS experience as a professional librarian.
- Experience working with media collections in a library setting.
- Working knowledge of audio and video file formats, resolutions and digital media technology for online publishing and file preservation.
- Conceptual understanding of streaming standards and technology (sampling, bit depth, Analogue to Digital Converters (A/D), etc.).
- Knowledge of licensing trends for media, including streaming and performance rights.
- Supervisory and/or project management experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in an academic environment
- Experience in licensing of digital media
- Experience in fundraising and/or grant writing
- Experience digitizing materials in audio or visual formats
- Fluency in Spanish
Job Opening ID: 505598
About FIU -- Florida International University is a comprehensive university offering 340 majors in 188 degree programs in 23 colleges and schools, with innovative bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs across all disciplines including medicine, public health, law, journalism, hospitality, and architecture. FIU is Carnegie-designated as both a research university with high research activity and a community-engaged university. Located in the heart of the dynamic south Florida urban region, our multiple campuses serve over 50,000 students, placing FIU among the ten largest universities in the nation. Our annual research expenditures in excess of $100 million and our deep commitment to engagement have made FIU the go-to solutions center for issues ranging from local to global. FIU leads the nation in granting bachelor’s degrees, including in the STEM fields, to minority students and is first in awarding STEM master’s degrees to Hispanics. Our students, faculty, and staff reflect Miami’s diverse population, earning FIU the designation of Hispanic-Serving Institution. At FIU, we are proud to be ‘Worlds Ahead’! For more information about FIU, visit fiu.edu.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 20:19 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC