With more than 8,200 employees and nearly 23,000 students, Drexel is the fifth largest private-sector employer in Philadelphia and has a vibrant community of students, faculty and professional staff, and encourages the richness diversity brings to the workplace. Like its students, Drexel's employees are known for being passionate, entrepreneurial and innovative.
Position Title: Manager, Discovery Systems
Job Overview: The Manager, Discovery Systems leads the Drexel University Libraries program of Discovery Systems, focusing on thoughtful and proactive integration and development of the Libraries' patron facing discovery systems. In this role, the Manager will be a key leader in the Libraries efforts to develop and deliver new discovery services to the University community as part of the Libraries contribution to build campus data curation and digital content. The Manager will have responsibility for Libraries' website, integrated library system, and library technology & systems infrastructure. Currently the Manager reports to the Director, Library Academic Partnerships.
- ALA-accredited master's degree or equivalent in library or information science
- Minimum five years of progressively responsible experience in a library
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with web and content management systems, integrated library systems, discovery systems
- Demonstrated ability to work in a mixed hardware/software environment
- Demonstrated expertise in a variety of technologies used in libraries, such as: various operating systems, scripting, enterprise databases, high density storage, storage digital asset repositories design and management
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, plan, coordinate, and implement complex projects and services (project management)
- Demonstrated commitment to addressing patron needs
- Knowledge of data standards prevalent in libraries
- Successful budget development and management experience
- Successful supervisory experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills that enable communication of complex technology issues and strategies to a diverse community
- Knowledge of Drupal site-building, theming, and coding modules
- Experience with III Millennium system
- Experience with emerging open source library management systems
- Experience leading cross-departmental teams
Essential Functions: The Manager, Discovery Systems will provide leadership for:
- design, development, and implementation of patron facing discovery systems and services
- current suite of discovery systems, including Libraries website, III Millennium, Summon, and associated services
- library systems infrastructure
- ongoing program of patron usability
- evaluation of next generation discovery systems
- development and implementation of patron facing mobile technologies
- development and implementation of a new, Islandora-based institutional repository
- regular analysis of usage data for all discovery services and systems
- development of instructional technology services
The Manager will be an integral part of the Libraries management team, a dynamic and collaborative group of librarians and technologists. The Libraries professional staff is expected to contribute to the ongoing operations of the Libraries through participation in divisional planning and decision-making, and in implementation of library policies. Regular reporting of activities and appropriate statistics are required. Staff of the libraries participate in a wide variety of university activities and initiatives.
The Manager, Discovery Systems is responsible for:
- Program management
- Direct supervision of the Libraries' Senior Network Analyst, Web Developer/Webmaster and the ILS Administrator
- Participation in budget development and management
- Participation in Libraries' managerial leadership to evaluate/coordinate cross-functional activities
- Maintaining awareness of developments in discovery systems and monitor trends to guide planning and strategic decisions for Libraries
- Contributing to the profession through presentations, publications and/or personal involvement in professional associations
Drexel University offers an attractive benefits package including tuition remission, a generous retirement package with matching funds (up to 11 percent) and an opportunity to join a talented team of professionals directly helping the University achieve its record growth and quality reputation.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The Library is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
To apply for this position, please apply online at: www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=76944 or visit www.drexeljobs.com and search for Manager, Discovery Systems. The requisition number is 5248.
For more information about Drexel University, please visit www.drexel.edu.
Rebekah Kilzer Head, Learning Engagement Library Academic Partnerships
Drexel University Libraries Drexel University 3300 Market Street W. W. Hagerty Library Philadelphia, PA 19104 Tel: 215.895.6783 | Fax: 215.895.2070 library.drexel.edu<applewebdata://E199528A-0BCA-4429-8A7E-D7B684B6E300/www.library.drexel.edu>
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC