DescriptionLoyola University Chicago invites applications and nominations for the position of Head of Systems Librarian. Reporting to the Dean of University Libraries, this position manages and provides leadership for the Library Systems Department, which is responsible for maintenance and development of information technology infrastructure, productions, and services across the University Libraries.
1. Supervise and mentor the Systems Department staff, including the Digital Services Librarian, the Library System Administrator, and student assistants.
2. Serve as Lead Administrator for the Ex Libris Voyager integrated library system that is shared by the University Libraries, the Health Sciences Library, and the Law Library. Responsible for Voyager system administration, maintenance, and functional support.
3. Provide oversight and planning for the library technology infrastructure, which includes over 10 servers of heterogeneous operating systems and database management systems (Windows, Linux, Solaris, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.).
4. Lead the development and management of the University Libraries' website, especially in developing the Drupal platform and in areas which require programming and advanced technical expertise.
5. Provide technology support for the continued development of the Loyola University Chicago Digital Repository and Digital Special Collections.
6. Keep current on new technologies and work closely with the Systems staff, other library departments and the University ITS to implement new technologies to improve services.
7. Participate in the establishment of short- and long-range library information technology goals, objectives, and priorities. Participate in library-wide policy making and strategic planning.
Minimum Education or Experience
- A Master's degree in Library and Information Science, or equivalent
- Minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in managing library systems, preferably in an academic library
- Experience with large integrated library systems and server administration
- Experience with relational database management systems
- In-depth understanding of technological trends and developments in academic libraries
- Demonstrated successful supervisory and project management skills
- Evidence of excellent oral and written communication skills, and demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical issues and solutions to a diverse set of stakeholders
- Certificates, credentials or licenses required to perform the duties of this position:
- Experience with Voyager ILS, WorldCat Local, SerialsSolutions ERM, Digital Commons, CONTENTdm, Omeka, ILLiad, Drupal, and WordPress
- Knowledge of Web technologies and standards; Linux, Solaris, and Windows operating systems; proxy servers and patron authentication technologies; database design, administration and reporting; common programming and scripting languages; and metadata standards
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC