DescriptionReporting to the Archives Manager, this highly-skilled professional position plays a key role in further developing and maintaining the City of Vancouver Archives’ digital preservation program. Since 2008, the Archives has been developing this program according to national and international standards and best practices. As Digital Archivist, you will have an opportunity to continue this work with an innovative, forward-thinking team committed to embracing the future of archives and the evolving needs of different types of clients. You will have the independence to make decisions related to your work and will be continually encouraged to bring forward new ideas and suggest improvements to existing practice.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
This is complex professional archival work consisting of the acquisition, appraisal, arrangement and description, and provision of access to government and private-sector born-digital, digitized and traditional records in a wide range of formats. You will be expected to play an active role in the development of policy and procedures related to digital preservation, to provide day-to day management of the Archives’ preservation system and associated data management tools, and to participate in projects to upgrade or improve existing automated systems. You will also participate in establishing and maintaining contacts in the community as they relate to the Archives’ programs and activities. You will work independently and as part of collaborative teams, sometimes as a project lead.
- Master of Archival Studies Degree or similar degree, or equivalent combination of relevant graduate degree and several years’ experience working in archives
- Extensive working knowledge of archival and records management principles and best practices, especially as related to digital records preservation and digital record keeping systems, but not excluding records in traditional media
- Excellent understanding of existing and emerging standards and issues related to digital preservation and general archival practice
- Excellent knowledge of the technical requirements for digital preservation, including hardware, software, metadata schema and file formats
- Strong understanding of database design concepts and experience administering and using complex databases
- Strong ability to identify and solve complex problems
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in decision making
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, written and oral communication, and project and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team, and to balance independent work with teamwork and cooperation.
How to apply
http://vancouver.ca/your-government/find-and-apply-for-a-job.aspx or https://vanfep.city.vancouver.bc.ca/sap/bc/webdynpro/sap/hrrcf_a_posting_apply?PARAM=cG9zdF9pbnN0X2d1aWQ9NTEzODA2MUM2MkZCMDA2NEUxMDA4MDAwQUMxQTAxMTImY2FuZF90eXBlPUVYVA%3d%3d&sap-client=453&sap-language=EN
Published: Friday, March 8, 2013 20:34 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC