DescriptionPrinceton University Library seeks a flexible and innovative Metadata Librarian for Western Languages with a specialization in Spanish/Portuguese languages, history, and culture. The Metadata Librarian for Western Languages will work as part of a team creating, converting and manipulating library metadata in various formats to provide control of and access to the Library’s collections, digital and print, with broad responsibility for Western language acquisitions, contributing special expertise, initiative and/or leadership where application of knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese language is required. The librarian needs a strong grounding in cataloging principles and the ability to apply them to existing and emerging media in a variety of encoding formats coupled with strong technical skills and the imagination to envision alternate methods for achieving the Library’s goals. The focus of the position is on creative and efficient management of metadata, and increasing use of technology whenever appropriate to achieve quicker, more efficient processing, control and discovery promotion of print and digital receipts and holdings. The librarian will work with multiple library systems and use tools such as macros, MARCEdit, and the XML tools that are becoming more important for cross-walking and storing our data.
Applications must include a resume/cv, cover letter, and a list of three references with full contact information.
- Strong working knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese;
- M.L.S. or equivalent experience;
- Minimum of two years professional experience in an academic or research library;
- Experience which demonstrates a strong knowledge of cataloging principles;
- Knowledge of RDA;
- Knowledge of at least one XML metadata schema;
- Knowledge of authority principles and practices;
- XML, XPath, Xquery, Xquery update;
- Experience demonstrating capability for project planning and workflow management;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collegial, team environment.
- Working knowledge of other European languages;
- Experience demonstrating supervisory skills;
- Familiarity with systems architecture;
- Knowledge of additional metadata schema.
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience and accomplishments. Twenty-four (24) vacation days a year, nine (9) paid holidays, plus two (2) Personal days. Annuity program (TIAA/CREF), group life insurance, health coverage insurance, disability insurance, and other benefits are available.
Nominations and Applications:
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Nominations and applications (cover letter, resume and the names, titles, addresses and phone numbers of three references) will be accepted only from the Jobs at Princeton website: http://www.princeton.edu/jobs. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC