DescriptionThe Integrated Library System (ILS) Administrator – CVL is responsible for development, implementation, support and administration of the Chattahoochee Valley Libraries’ (CVL) integrated library system, currently Polaris, supporting a variety of services including: acquisitions, serials, cataloging, circulation, reporting, and public access. Work is performed with considerable independent judgment and initiative. This position reports to the Collection Coordinator – CVL.
* Ensure ILS remains an effective and functional tool supporting variety of library services for CVL patron and staff.
* Monitor quality and performance, as well as, maintain integrity of the databases in the system.
* Provide ongoing support and administration of Polaris ILS.
* Develop strategies for and coordinate upgrades.
* Recommend improvements to enhance customer service and staff performance.
Perform maintenance of the database and coordinate it with CVL staff.
* Serve as a primary contact for Polaris ILS issues and work with other staff to investigate, troubleshoot, and resolve problems relating to the ILS.
* Solve Polaris ILS problems and coordinate resolution of problems and issues with staff and vendors to assure continuous operations.
Assist with the development of system usage reports.
* Write and maintain complete and accurate ILS technical documentation and files for the using of ILS, such as, instructions, procedures, and manuals.
* Serve as a liaison to staff and vendors in matters of ILS, as well as, main contract with ILS vendor, i.e. Polaris.
* Maintain familiarity with the ILS relational database structure and use of SQL.
* Stay current on best practices, procedures, and trends in the ILS field through attendance at conferences, participation in organizations and networking.
*Daily attendance and punctuality are required for the purpose of ensuring the goals of the work unit are met.
* Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient, effective functioning of the work unit.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, non-technical tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: customer service experience, project management, organizational, analytical, problem solving and decision making skills, proficiency in use of Internet electronic resources and computer software applications, and thorough knowledge of Polaris ILS.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math; read and follow instructions; and understand written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: knowledge of library principles, procedures and terminology; related to specifically to the patron registration and materials circulation, library catalog organization and cataloging practices, goals and philosophy of library service; and knowledge of purpose and mission of a public library.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and consider a number of factors when using equipment. Flexibility is required to independently work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods such as vendor technical support. Ability is also required to work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with a variety of data; and utilize job-related equipment. Some problem-solving may be required to identify issues and select action plans. Problem solving with data requires independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific abilitybased competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: ability to meet, communicate and deal with people effectively; to supervise assistant; to perform reference service and materials selection for a public library.
Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized procedures; leading, guiding and/or coordinating others; and operating within a defined budget. Utilization of resources from other work units is often required to perform the job’s functions. There is some opportunity to impact the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands; significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; frequent climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Must be able manipulate stacks of books and similar materials weighing up to 50 pounds and loaded book trucks weighing up to 100 pounds. Generally the job requires 10% sitting, 40% walking and 50% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Experience: Job related experience is required.
Education: Master of Library Science Degree
Certificates & Licenses: Master of Library Science Degree from a regional or state accredited institution or equivalent and valid driver’s license
Continuing Educ./Training: Required criminal fingerprint background check every five years
Clearances: Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 02:16 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC