At UL, we know why we come to work.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Associate Research Librarian with Underwriters Laboratories Research Institutes. The Associate Research Librarian supports researchers and affiliated staff with research support that includes library navigation, information research consultations, research data management services, and bibliometric analysis; the successful candidate will develop, enhance, and support library services for assigned liaison roles including the Digital Safety Research Institute. The Associate Research Librarian reports to the Research Librarian at UL Research Institute and will work closely with other leaders, researchers, and colleagues across the research organization to advance our library resources and portfolio. This position is a remote opportunity.
At Underwriters Laboratories Research Institutes, we wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. Underwriters Laboratories stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
What you’ll learn & achieve:
As the Associate Research Librarian, you will play a key role in the rapid growth of Underwriters Laboratories as you:
- Provide support and guidance to enable users to navigate the library’s collections effectively.
- Consult with researchers on research needs and provide guidance on navigating the information landscape beyond the UL Research Institute’s library.
- Facilitate open and reproducible research in alignment with UL Research Institute’s commitment to Open Science.
- Partner with researchers, research groups, and institutes to help communicate research impact to diverse audiences by providing an overview of specific groups’ research publications and outputs.
- Support researchers in demonstrating the impact of research projects to stakeholders such as potential collaborators and funding agencies.
- Advise researchers on successful publishing strategies, publication management, and tracking; how to foster an impactful online identity; and how to evaluate research impact by discipline.
- Provide the professional and technical knowledge needed to support the integration of a wide array of library systems, tools, services, and resources. Keep apprised of new technologies and tools to support the growing research library.
- Assist with developing collections and managing library resources to ensure access to relevant materials.
What makes you a great fit:
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated research and search skills aligned with the ALA "Professional Competencies for Reference and User Services Librarians."
- Experience or familiarity with engineering standards, citation databases, scientific literature collections, citation management tools, and other platforms or services commonly used by researchers to find and manage information and/or other topics pertinent to STEM-oriented research.
- Demonstrated understanding of current and emerging trends in scientific research, open science practices, and scholarly publication.
- Knowledge and interest in emerging technologies and social media.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, ability to identify issues, use evidence to analyze problems and provide solutions.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills: written, verbal, and interpersonal.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work individually and collaboratively in a distributed environment.
- Ability to develop expertise over time in processes associated with technological innovation and translational research and explore opportunities for library support in these areas.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in library or information science from an American Library Association accredited institution, required. Undergraduate or graduate degree in engineering, computer science, mathematics, science, or related field, strongly preferred.
- Minimum one year experience in delivering library services or working with researchers in a scientific research community.
- Functional understanding of artificial intelligence and machine learning in the research environment.
- Functional understanding of data science in the research environment, preferred.
What you’ll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For Underwriters Laboratories, corporate and social responsibility isn’t new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 127 years and is deeply engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any Underwriters Laboratories employee what they love most about working here, and you’ll almost always hear, “the people.” Going beyond what is possible is the standard at Underwriters Laboratories. We’re able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers’ create. We’re inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: All employees at Underwriters Laboratories are eligible for bonus compensation. Underwriters Laboratories offers a generous 401k matching structure of up to 5% of eligible pay. Additionally, we invest an additional 4% into your retirement saving fund after your first year of continuous employment. We provide Healthcare Reimbursement Accounts and Health Savings Accounts that Underwriters Laboratories contributes to twice per year! Depending on your role, you can work with your manager on flexible working arrangements. We also provide employees with paid time off including vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer time off.
About Underwriters Laboratories Research Institutes
Underwriters Laboratories Research Institutes is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing safety science research through the discovery and application of scientific knowledge. We conduct rigorous independent research and analyze safety data, convene experts worldwide to address risks, share knowledge through safety education and public outreach initiatives, and develop standards to guide safe commercialization of evolving technologies. We foster communities of safety, from grassroots initiatives for neighborhoods to summits of world leaders. Our organization employs collaborative and scientific approaches with partners and stakeholders to drive innovation and progress toward improving safety, security, and sustainability, ultimately enhancing societal well-being.
Our wholly owned subsidiary, UL Inc., advances our shared public safety mission. We fund our work through grants, the licensing of standards documents and the business activities of UL Inc., which conducts testing, verification and certification, and provides training and advisory services, along with data-driven reporting and decision-making tools for customers around the world.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, January 30, 2024 22:32 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, January 30, 2024 22:32 UTC