Head of Music and Media Metadata Librarian
Metadata Services Program
The University of California, San Diego Library seeks motivated, creative and collaborative applicants to join the Library as Head of the Music & Media Metadata Unit in the Metadata Services Program. This position will provide metadata expertise and oversight for musical scores, audio, and visual materials from a wide variety of disciplines.
Responsibilities of the Position
Reporting to the Program Director for Metadata Services (MS), the Head of Music & Media Metadata Librarian (M3) plays an important role in providing access and facilitating discovery to the Library’s music and media print, electronic and digital collections. The Head of M3 will directly supervise one Metadata Specialist with the potential to fill further vacancies in the unit. The Head of M3 will oversee, create and manipulate bibliographic and authority metadata through original, complex copy and batch cataloging for musical scores and media. This position will actively participate in digital projects through the creation and manipulation of music and media specific metadata and serve as a metadata consultant for data providers (e.g. The Dept. of Music). The Head of M3 will actively collaborate with data providers for digital projects and work closely with the Music and Media Librarian responsible for collection development to accomplish shared strategic collection and access goals. The Head of M3 will possess and continue to develop expertise in metadata best practices, emerging trends, technologies and tools and recommend their adoption if they further Library, M3 and MS goals. As part of the MS Unit Heads Group, this position shares management responsibility for the Metadata Services Program. As a librarian, this position would be expected to be professionally active to further the profession, and contribute to the progression of the Metadata Services Program.
• Catalogs and has primary responsibility for coordinating and supervising Music and Media cataloging (original, copy, and batch processing of physical and electronic audio, moving image and notated music).
• Contributes authority records to NACO and creates bibliographic records for BIBCO.
• Coordinates and manages the development and implementation of metadata strategies that support the discovery of the Library’s music and media collections.
• Supervises, trains, and sets direction for Music & Media Unit metadata staff and students.
• Leads the unit to investigate, experiment with, and implement new approaches and/or batch processes for creating and manipulating bibliographic and authority data, including extended and creative uses of metadata.
• Shares leadership, strategic direction and management responsibility for the Metadata Services Program (MS) as part of the MS Unit Heads Group.
• Integrates and coordinates descriptive metadata practices across databases of record and information systems.
• Provides intellectual leadership and contributes nationally to the development of emerging cataloging standards and maintains currency with issues in bibliographic and authority control, information organization, and metadata encoding standards.
• Participates in the creation and development of Metadata Services Program priorities, policies, procedures, and goals.
• Works collaboratively with public services and collections staff to prioritize and create appropriate access to library materials.
• Serves on Library-wide, Campus-wide, and/or UC System-wide committees.
Applicants are invited to attend an informational webinar to learn more about the position, the campus, and the University Library. If interested, please register using the links provided:
Information Session @ Thursday, November 16, 2023 at 9-10AM PST:
Information Session @ Friday, November 17, 2023 at 12:30-1:30PM PST:
The attendee list will be hidden to ensure confidentiality. Attendance is not required to apply or be considered for this position. Live captioning will be provided via Zoom Live Transcript. Inquiries and nominations may be directed to Aislinn Sotelo, Director of Metadata Services (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Last updated: Monday, November 13, 2023 16:44 UTC