Black Hills State University seeks a motivated person to serve as Technology and Online Resources Librarian. The individual holding this position has responsibility for online library systems and services, including e-resources management, the library catalog, library web pages, and other software supporting library work. The new hire will work directly with students, faculty, and staff, providing technical assistance in the use of online resources and systems as part of a team of librarians. This is a 12-month Librarian position that reports to the Library Director. The BHSU Library has recently undergone a complete renovation, including enhanced student spaces and a makerspace.
· Provide leadership for technology-based solutions, to include evaluation, cost-benefit analysis, recommendations between alternative solutions, implementation (including customization and data migration, when applicable), testing, and maintenance of these applications.
· Serve as primary system administrator for most online services and software managed by the library.
· Conduct usability studies of online services to ensure user-friendliness, accessibility, and effective customization of systems.
· Identify technology training needs for library staff.
· Serve as liaison between the library and information technology services.
· Assist with other library functions as assigned.
ILS Administration (Alma/Primo)
· Administer system, working collaboratively with the South Dakota Board of Regents Systems Coordinator.
· Configure system, in coordination with library staff.
· Create reports and run batch processes to facilitate work done by library staff.
· Solicit feedback on potential software enhancements, inform library staff of software upgrades, and work to implement new features.
Electronic Resources Management
· Troubleshoot and resolve access issues for students, faculty, and staff.
· Serve as primary contact for online resource and service vendors.
· Maintain usage statistics for online databases and journals.
· Ensure proper authentication of users via proxy server (ezProxy).
· Maintain subscription information and provide data to support renewal decisions for databases, e-journal packages, and other online resources.
· Negotiate license agreements in collaboration with the Library Director.
· Obtain information on suggested database additions, including pricing and setting up trial access.
· Seek out and provide access to relevant free online databases, e-books, and other online resources via the library catalog or website as appropriate.
· Update library web pages, working with BHSU webmaster.
· Administrator and coordinator for LibGuides and LibCal.
· Monitor analytics for web-based services.
· Batch editing, loading, and deleting of MARC records in ILS.
· ALA-accredited master’s degree in library or information science or equivalent combination of experience and education
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Strong problem-solving skills
· Knowledge of the life cycle of electronic resources
· Knowledge of integrated library systems or library services platforms
· Knowledge of programming languages, such as HTML, XML, XSLT
· Experience with Windows OS and Microsoft productivity products
· Experience with database design (including relational databases), data management, and SQL queries
· Experience working with APIs and interfacing disparate systems
· Experience with electronic resource management tools and standards
· Experience with Ex Libris Alma/Primo ILS (or comparable system)
· Experience in an academic library
In your cover letter, please address the following:
· Discuss your interest in technology in a library setting.
· Present your ideas for how the library can support the academic mission of the university.
The complete job posting is available at: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu/postings/36908
Applications must be made at http://yourfuture.sdbor.edu Please attach a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of at least three professional references.
This position will remain open until filled with a first review date of November 28, 2023, at 11PM MST.
Black Hills State University is an EEO/AA employer. Employment is dependent upon a satisfactory background check.
Black Hills State University is a masters-level state university with more than 3,600 students. The campus leads the region in sustainability efforts and maintains top academic programs in business (AACSB Accredited), exercise science, natural sciences, social sciences, the arts, mass communication, health sciences and education. The University, founded in 1883, is located in the northern Black Hills, a region abundant with outdoor activity and culture. Spearfish, South Dakota, is recognized as one of the top 10 most livable small towns in the USA and has also been recognized nationally for outdoor recreational opportunities. A second location, BHSU-RC, is in Rapid City, the state’s second-largest city. BHSU, a member of NCAA Division II athletics, offers 14 sports, and has a legacy of champion rodeo teams.
How to apply
Published: Monday, November 13, 2023 16:46 UTC
Last updated: Monday, November 13, 2023 16:46 UTC