MSU Libraries is seeking a Web Application Developer to join us in building open-source and accessible library applications, with projects including our catalog interface (VuFind, PHP) and digital repository (Python, Flask). If you have an interest in libraries and a dedication to creative problem-solving, we can offer you a collaborative and supportive culture, flexible working hours (minimum 1 day/week in office), and strong professional development support.
Work Culture and Environment
Become part of the vibrant Michigan State University community! MSU Libraries is seeking a Web Application Developer to join us in building open, inclusive, and accessible library technologies. We have a passion for excellence and a strong culture of mutually supportive professional development. If you have an interest in libraries and a dedication to creative problem-solving, apply to join the team!
What we can provide for you:
● Welcoming and supportive culture!
● Flexible working hours and a commitment to supporting work-life balance
● Work on small, agile-oriented teams
● Support a diverse community of students, staff and community members.
● A culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, and ensuring all staff are included and can participate in library organization and planning.
● Lots of opportunities to grow and expand your skill set with dedicated annual funding for professional development
● The opportunity to work closely with faculty who are researching and building innovative services for scholars and students
● Access to a tuition assistance program offering 50% off the in-state tuition rate for dependents and the spouse of the employee
● Beautiful open campus! The Main Library building is located between Beaumont Tower and the famous Beal Botanical Gardens
● Cutting edge technology spaces in the Main Library, including the state-of-the-art Digital Scholarship Lab and the Hollander MakeCentral Makerspace
● A casual dress code and relaxed atmosphere
What you’ll be doing with us:
● Working alongside developers and other library staff in a diverse technology environment to create quality software in a collaborative environment
● Learning how to create containerized deployment environments using new technologies like Docker, GitLab CI, and Terraform
● Developing and contributing to projects in an organization with strong commitment to developing open-source library services and platforms
● Leading the way in building technologies that emphasize both accessibility and usability for all library users
● Participating in the full life cycle of development, from design and prototypes, all the way to automating tests and production deployment
● Engaging with a wide range of ongoing projects, current examples of which include technologies such as Flask, Django, and Drupal
● Taking on and leading new initiatives, and asking for help; we seek to uphold a culture that values learning from failure and engaging with difficult problems
Everyone has something to contribute. If your past experience doesn't align precisely with the job description, having a history of engagement with related work is something we also find valuable. Be sure to tell us all the skills (both technical and otherwise) you bring to the table!
Software development in an academic library offers the fulfillment of working toward goals like universal accessibility and open knowledge through the sharing of resources. If you are self-driven, team-oriented, and motivated to work in an environment where you can make a difference, we encourage you to apply today!
How to apply
Published: Saturday, October 21, 2023 18:50 UTC
Last updated: Saturday, October 21, 2023 18:50 UTC