Fondren Library at Rice University seeks a Library Systems Specialist. The position is responsible for managing and maintaining library systems and technologies and acts as a resource person to library staff on automation, technology, process improvement, and developments affecting the library. The Library Systems Specialist works with the Systems Librarian to manage and optimize the library services platform to ensure efficient and seamless access to resources and services.
The Library IT department is responsible for supporting and maintaining systems and infrastructure that belong to the library. The primary goal is to provide efficient operation and management of library technology.
The ideal candidate has experience with supporting and developing one or more ILS/LSP and discovery systems.
Salary: $55,000 - $62,000
Work Schedule: This position offers 2 days of work from home and 3 days in the office (after 3 months from start date).
- In lieu of the education requirement, additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis may be substituted
- Alma and Primo certifications or ability to obtain certification within 6 months of hire date
- Proficient with tracking problems and problem resolution
- A proven ability to train end users
- Good analytical, collaborative, creative, problem-solving, and research skills
- Strong project management skills: ability to manage technical projects in a library setting with demonstrated capabilities in terms of project planning and estimating, work assignment, progress review, and reporting
- Knowledge of computer system capabilities, business processes and workflow
- Proficient with enterprise applications and understanding of database driven applications
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to bridge functional and technical resources by communicating effectively with individuals of varying systems expertise and business needs
- Ability to maintain good customer relations with clients and external vendors and partners
- Serves as a resource person to library staff on automation, technical, process improvement trends and developments affecting the library
- Keeps current on library technology and developments and keeps abreast of new and existing functionality to support increased efficiencies and campus engagement
- Manages technical projects within the library
- Provides application-level support to the library
- Participates actively in technology user groups, listservs, and forums relevant to the position.
- Tracks problems related to library systems and software
- Escalates issues to vendors and manages vendor relationships
- Develops services based on Alma and Primo capabilities
- Engages in problem-solving and workflow assessment
- Works with User Experience to improve user services
- Assists and supports digital preservation projects
- Participates in committees as required
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Analyzes and documents user needs, existing and new policies, processes, procedures and operational methods to consider possible improvements to new and existing systems
- Performs testing of new systems, upgrades and patching of existing systems; may include developing test plans
- Develops instructional materials, training and job aids
- 1 year of experience with supporting and developing one or more ILS/LSP and discovery systems
- Experience with the Linux operating system
- Knowledge of shell scripting
- Experience with a programming language
- Experience working with APIs, AngularJS, Python or similar applications.
- Familiar with MARC and data interchange formats such as XML and JSON
Workplace Requirements – May occasionally require nights and weekends
How to apply
Published: Friday, October 6, 2023 16:41 UTC
Last updated: Friday, October 6, 2023 16:41 UTC