Cline Library seeks an experienced Systems and Discovery Librarian ("SDL") to assume primary responsibility for the library services platform (ExLibris Alma and Primo VE) that supports research, scholarship, academic excellence, and student success at Northern Arizona University.
As a member of the Collections and Discovery Services ("CDS") team, the SDL will collaborate with colleagues in the department, other library units, and across campus to deliver new services, support the user experience, and enhance operational efficiency related to the management of library discovery systems and related applications. The successful candidate will report to the Head of CDS.
- Provide overall strategy, leadership, coordination, and communication for Cline Library's primary end-user library discovery application (ExLibris Primo VE) and its integrated application for library resource management (ExLibris Alma).
- Design, implement, and maintain processes and procedures that enable successful, barrier-free delivery of physical and digital collections to users while adhering to University IT policies regarding systems design, implementation, security, and patron privacy.
- Share responsibility for integration of third-party software crucial to resource discovery, research support, and student success.
- Manage and coordinate metadata cleanup to improve online searchability.
- Collaborate with library colleagues to improve systems support and implement user experience best practices that enhance discovery. Answer staff and end-user questions and resolve complex issues related to Alma and Primo VE, especially in the areas of metadata and resource management.
- Coordinate the selection, review, testing, and implementation of new discovery features and metadata enhancements, and communicate with technical and patron-facing library staff.
- Collaborate with Special Collections and Archives ("SCA") staff to promote the discovery and use of archival collections and digitized material in ExLibris Primo VE and OCLC WorldCat. Coordinate with SCA staff to integrate collections management systems such as ArchivesSpace and CONTENTdm with ExLibris Alma.
- Collaborate with colleagues applying metadata standards including MARC and Dublin Core, Bibframe and RDA, and data interchange formats such as XML and JSON.
- Work closely with the Technology Strategies & Services Department, particularly when exploring integrations and other improvements that rely on Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and customized search solutions.
- Prepare reports and statistical data to assist in evidence-based decision making.
- Serve as point person for collaborations with other institutions, including participating in RFP processes and managing implementations.
- Actively participate in achieving organizational priorities. Participate in and contribute positively to library-wide planning and initiatives.
- Pursue professional development opportunities and monitor developments in library discovery systems and related emerging technologies, relevant standards, and their implementations at peer institutions to ensure the library remains innovative and responsive to evolving discovery and integrated library systems and practices.
Arizona residency is required by the start date of this position.
To be considered for the rank of Assistant Librarian
- ALA-accredited graduate degree from a library and information science program or advanced degree in a related field; and
- Experience working with library services platforms and/or integrated library systems
To be considered for the rank of Associate Librarian
All of the qualifications listed above plus:
- Six (6) or more years of effective, successful experience as a librarian in an academic library or similar setting;
- A sustained record of scholarly and/or creative activities; and
- A record of service that shows a pattern of sustained service to the profession and a university community, and the potential to assume a leadership role within the profession
Preferred qualifications are not required, and we are committed to helping our future colleague develop these skills.
- Experience with ExLibris Alma/Primo VE.
- Experience troubleshooting and resolving discovery and other systems-related issues.
- Experience with the challenges and opportunities related to usability and interface accessibility for a diverse user population.
- Ability to develop written policies, detailed procedures, workflows, and related documentation.
- Ability to research, investigate, and evaluate systems, hardware, software, and applications and make informed recommendations to administrators.
- Ability to work effectively and collegially with a diverse population of colleagues and stakeholders, whether serving as a team leader or member.
- Skill in collaborating and communicating with colleagues of varying levels of expertise.
- Ability to adapt to rapid change and to exercise creativity and initiative.
Compensation & Benefits
Rank of Assistant Librarian: anticipated salary range is $67,000 - $74,000*
Rank of Associate Librarian: anticipated salary range is $78,000 - $82,000*
How to apply
Published: Thursday, September 28, 2023 15:16 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, September 28, 2023 15:16 UTC