DescriptionColgate University Libraries seeks a creative and user-oriented librarian to serve as Systems Librarian. Reporting to the Head of Digital Initiatives and Resources, this person will share leadership and responsibility for planning, developing, integrating, implementing, and maintaining the digital systems and services through which the Libraries support users in finding and using information. The primary focus will include (but not be limited to) the Libraries' integrated library system (currently Innovative Interfaces/III), interlibrary services system, the Dematic Library Automated Storage and Retrieval (LASR) system, and digital publishing platforms.
The successful candidate will collaborate with librarians, staff, technologists, and faculty in a cutting edge library and technology facility. The person will have a strong philosophical and functional grounding in library services and the provision of technical and patron support in a library setting.
Qualifications: An ALA-accredited master's degree or an equivalent master's degree, plus two years' experience working in a library setting. All librarians are expected to lead and work in a collaborative environment, to possess a strong public service orientation, to communicate effectively, to manage projects efficiently, and to work some evening, weekend, and holiday hours.
The successful candidate will possess the best combination of the following:
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and project management skills; excellent oral and written communication skills; adaptability, creativity, and an aptitude to learn new technological tools and techniques
- Experience and interest in providing user (preferably patron) support, reference service, and information literacy instruction
- Working knowledge of an ILS (Innovative Interfaces Millennium/Sierra preferred but not required)
- Proficiency with one or more programming or scripting languages and HTML/CSS
- Familiarity with the MARC cataloging format
- Working knowledge of the database technologies used to store, manipulate, and query structured data
- Proficiency with standard desktop software and hardware
- Familiarity with current and emerging trends, standards and technologies, and the intellectual curiosity to investigate, advise, and collaboratively implement new technology solutions
Application procedure: Letters of application should contain a discussion of candidate's interest in developing as a teacher in an undergraduate, liberal-arts college that emphasizes close student-faculty interaction. Candidates will need to upload a letter of application, curriculum vita, and provide email addresses for three references, including current supervisor. Official transcripts will be required of candidates selected for an on-campus interview. Review of application materials will begin on February 25, 2013 and continue until the position is filled.
Colgate is a highly selective private liberal arts university located in Hamilton, NY, and is an EO/AA employer. Developing and sustaining a diverse faculty, staff, and student body further the university's educational mission. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Applicants with dual career considerations can find postings of other employment opportunities at http://www.upstatenyherc.org
Published: Monday, January 28, 2013 01:56 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC