Are you passionate about digital publishing and production, and eager to join a world-class research university on the cutting edge of innovation?
Carnegie Mellon University Libraries are seeking a visionary and technically skilled Digital Publishing Specialist to help shape the future of scholarly communication and build a vibrant publishing program at the heart of our library.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who thrives in an exciting and challenging work environment. You will contribute to the department by providing vital support by crafting and launching a diverse publishing portfolio, including online journals, blogs, galleries, websites, podcasts, project portfolios, and other interactive media. You will work closely with faculty, students, and staff to provide support and guidance on production and content creation, as well as shaping and expanding the technical infrastructure. Strong analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills are essential.
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Providing support and outreach for online journal production using Janeway, including working directly with editors and their teams in launching, scaling, and sustaining journals; offering workshops, consulting, and training; and deep engagement with developers and sysadmins related to hosting and technical needs.
- Providing support for diverse web publishing platforms such as blogs, galleries, websites, podcasts, and other media to advance CMU's teaching, learning, service, and research initiatives. This effort includes consulting, training, outreach, and technical management.
- Providing expertise for projects and other collaborative efforts across the library including areas such as digital scholarship, open science, digital libraries/archives, repositories, and open educational resources.
- Providing expertise for faculty projects and initiatives across CMU related to publishing or preserving diverse forms of data, information, or creative works.
- Providing support and consulting for questions related to publishing, rights management, licensing, and similar topics.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the University Libraries. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued proficiencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
- Master’s degree and a minimum two-years of professional experience working in publishing or content development.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, and implement effective digital projects both independently and collaboratively, including managing multiple and simultaneous initiatives.
- Desire and ability to learn new skills, tools, and platforms.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively interact with diverse groups including colleagues, faculty, staff, students, and administrators.
- Experience overseeing content management platforms and applications (e.g., Janeway, Omeka, Scalar, Pressbooks, WordPress).
- Experience managing or supporting the production of journals, magazines, blogs, podcasts, or other serialized content.
- Experience developing and managing a portfolio of digital services.
- Ability to learn new technologies and mentor others in their uses.
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and resources in scholarly publishing, digital scholarship, scholarly communications, and/or open access.
- Ability to work with faculty, researchers, and editors in consultations.
- Experience using scripting tools or languages to automate processes and manipulate data.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear documentation.
- Successful background check
- CV and letter of interest with your application materials
- Please note that this is a Pittsburgh-based position. We value in-person engagement, and we envision this role regularly collaborating with colleagues, clients, and communities across the University.
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply today!
CMU’s COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university’s current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Program, Project and Operations Management
Staff – Regular
Full Time/Part time
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, June 7, 2023 19:09 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, June 7, 2023 19:09 UTC