Carnegie Mellon University prides itself on collaborative, interdisciplinary, pragmatic, groundbreaking research--- and that spirit carries into its Libraries.
We are seeking a Library Systems & Applications Developer to join the CMU Library’s Technology Development team. The ideal candidate will be responsible for designing, developing, testing, and maintaining various applications and systems that support the scholarly, scientific, creative, and educational aims of CMU. They should also have experience utilizing APIs to customize and maximize the wide variety of tools and platforms that the library supports. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who can work both independently and collaboratively, be a problem solver, and have the initiative to take ownership of projects. They should also be comfortable working with clients and colleagues across the library, the university, and with a wider community of partnership with vendors and open software communities.
This position offers a lot of opportunity for exploration and experimentation. Successful candidates will be exceptionally curious and eager to work across diverse domains such as data lakes, data modeling, digital publishing, digital preservation, software emulation, digital scholarship, digital archives and repositories, open research, and related applications.
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Design, develop, test, and maintain applications or systems programs.
- Work on more diverse and complex programming assignments that require sophisticated knowledge of programming and system capabilities.
- Evaluate user requests to determine feasibility, cost and time requirements, and compatibility with existing systems and capabilities.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation.
- May perform related technical support for the department or college.
- May guide or train lower level staff. Participates on departmental and cross functional project teams.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the University Libraries. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued proficiencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to optimally interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Experience with open-source technologies and tools
- Experience using and scripting for APIs
- Strong experience with Linux-based infrastructures, Linux/Unix administration, and virtualization solutions such as Docker and LXD.
- Experience with version control (Git)
- Experience working in libraries or higher education
- General awareness of DevOps methods
- Experience in software development and infrastructure development
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain protocol and processes
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience with software development
- Solid understanding of scripting languages such as php, python and relational databases
- Ability to work in a team environment with strong interpersonal skills
- Communicate successfully with a wide range of clients and partners
- Successful background check
- Work Posture: This position is operating on a hybrid schedule, with an on-campus/in office presence 3 days a week.
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply today!
CMU’s COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university’s current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Staff – Regular
Full Time/Part time
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, June 7, 2023 19:09 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, June 7, 2023 19:09 UTC