The J. Willard Marriott Library is seeking a self-motivated software developer to support the library’s web-development needs and maintain digital library infrastructure. The successful candidate will collaborate with developers, web designers, as well as faculty, staff and students, to create innovative services that enhance library projects in Digital Matters (DM); Creativity, Research & Innovation Services (CrIS); Digital Library Services (DLS); and other areas.
As a Software Developer, you will be working with distributed teams to develop new and exciting services that support the University of Utah community. Projects may include text-mining large datasets and historical newspaper collections, using public APIs to collect data, analyze and visualize data, machine learning processing, and writing code to automate service workflows.
The ideal candidate will have a background in software development, be comfortable working both independently and in team environments, and have an aptitude for teaching/consulting with non-experts.
This position is currently designed as a hybrid of on-campus and remote work. Specific telecommuting arrangements will be based on the needs of the position and authorized at the discretion of the supervisor.
We seek qualified applicants who also bring perspectives and experiences that will enrich and strengthen our organization. We especially invite applications from candidates who may not have followed a traditional educational or professional path. All candidates should be prepared to discuss how they see themselves contributing to the University’s equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts. The library serves an increasingly diverse constituency of patrons, and our employees, services, collections, and policies should honor and reflect this diversity. We are therefore interested in identifying and interviewing candidates who have experience with underserved or marginalized communities and communities of color and who are committed to advancing our mission to provide equitable access to information resources.
- Develop and maintain digital library systems to meet evolving needs of the Marriott Library and University of Utah community
- Collaborate with the team to implement and customize open-source software using modern tools and techniques, and emerging technologies
- Create and maintain documentation for developers and users
- Research new technologies and industry trends that could impact direction or enhance approaches to software solutions related to digital library and repository services.
- Work with project stakeholders and development team to gather and analyze requirements for product development
- Teach and consult with non-experts on basic programming skills and applications
Requires a bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency (one year of education can be substituted for two years of related work experience) and 3-5 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
- Experience with Linux and Unix server environments
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: Python, PHP, Ruby, R
- Proficiency in at least one of the following frameworks: Django, Laravel, Rails
- Familiarity with developing inclusive software, such as adherence to accessibility (WCAG 2.0) and internationalization best practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of image, audio, video, 3d, and text file formats, especially as they relate to digital library standards, encoding/decoding/transcoding, and related metadata schemas
- Intellectual curiosity and desire to continually learn and expand technical knowledge
- Ability to provide support to students, staff, and faculty from diverse backgrounds
The duties, qualifications, and preferences listed in this posting are intended to give applicants an understanding of the role we are seeking to fill and the types of skills, experience, and education that may have prepared someone to be effective in this role.
We do not expect any candidate to be a perfect match for this list or to perform all of the duties with equal proficiency on day one. In your resume and cover letter, please highlight the most relevant qualifications you would bring to this position based on the posting, and tell us how your background, perspective, and experience will help us fulfill our mission and meet our goals.
Last updated: Saturday, May 6, 2023 23:46 UTC