The Systems Librarian is responsible for the management, day-to-day operation, maintenance, testing, troubleshooting and implementation of library systems, which currently include Koha, Ebsco EDS, SpringShare, OCLC, and others. This position requires strong interpersonal skills and a customer service orientation to facilitate working with departments across the University and outside vendors. This position works as a member of the team to support the overall operations of the University Library.
Qualifications: Master’s of Library Science (MLS) or Master’s of Library Information Science (MLIS) from an ALA accredited institution and 2 to 3 years of experience in a similar role with a proven track record of management and innovation in library technology are required, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience working with Koha, Ebsco EDS, SpringShare, and OCLC preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Ability:
- Knowledge of library processes and workflows for essential library systems.
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures to formulate options and recommend
- solutions to problems as they arise.
- Working knowledge of MARC and XML.
- Excellent interpersonal and cultural competency skills and demonstrated ability to communicate
- professionally with diverse internal and external constituencies.
- Commitment to an inclusive and equitable work environment and promoting a culture of
- belonging at the library and university.
- Knowledge of trends, best practices and procedures for access, discovery services, and technical operations including web accessibility standards and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and with others in a team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Sound professional judgment, flexibility, willingness to learn and implement new technologies and ways of doing things, and the highest standards of professional ethics.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, and Word.
- Self-motivated, flexible, and possessing a strong work ethic.
- Commitment to integrity, excellence, learning, and community.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Ability to travel between campuses.
- Update essential library systems and communicate the timing and impacts of any updates to library staff and the wider university community as appropriate.
- Maintain and update critical library systems such as EZ Proxy, Ebsco Discovery Service, Koha (ByWater), SpringShare, OCLC systems and other library systems.
- Work closely with university departments that host library systems or provide data loads and effectively troubleshoot issues as they arise.
- Ensure the visibility of newly acquired databases and the accessibility of all electronic resources.
- Gather and report usage statistics of all electronic resources to conform to the ACRL and IPEDS standards.
- Serve as the webmaster for the library using SpringShare as the website platform.
- Document and update processes and procedures for maintaining library systems.
- Work as a member of the team to support the overall operations of the Library and support initiatives as assigned.
Last updated: Thursday, April 20, 2023 16:52 UTC