Reporting to the Library Systems and Assessment Administrator, the Web Services Coordinator provides management, and coordination for the American University Library’s web presence in support of Library and AU strategic objectives. This includes primary oversight of the library website and other end-user platforms. The position collaborates with the Resource Sharing and Discovery Manager to provide support for the full range of information resources and access across web and mobile environments, along with enhancing discoverability of library resources and services. This position conducts user research and assessment initiatives for the Library’s online experience.
The Web Services Coordinator is responsible for Library website and is the primary resource for developing and supporting end-user interfaces that create or enhance access to library resources and other services. As part of the Library Systems unit, this position oversees and collaborates on integrated web services and evaluation of the user experience as it pertains to the website and discovery service. The incumbent will implement, customize, and integrate web applications for the Library website and other web services platforms. Develops or supports applications to optimize discoverability of third-party research content. Develops systematic processes for website usability testing. Ensures that websites are responsive and accessible. Works with library staff to facilitate, coordinate, and communicate internal changes and developments with the Library website and discovery service. Works closely with external campus partners and stakeholders to ensure that the design, delivery, and operation of web services are optimal and in support of the needs of American University Library.
Provides management for the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of the Library website and research portal. Implements, develops, or customizes web applications that will enable users to navigate library resources easily, and integrates and administers access protocols for 3rd party online library resources such as the library’s SpringShare suite of products.)
Conducts user experience testing to gain insights into user behavior and usage data to optimize the user experience with the library website. Collects and evaluates data from users and web analytics to provide the best user experience possible.
Provides oversight, management and testing meets web accessibility standard of web installations. Manages the migration and harvesting of content. Chairs the Library Web Advisory Team, working with other relevant stakeholders, and as such supports the web governance structure for the entire Library.
Serve as the data custodian (governance), (identity management) administrative and/or operational responsibility for the library website.. Provide additional systems support for library services such as ILLiad, Ares, and the library’s institutional repository.
Works as the Content Provider Lead (CPL) for the University Library and is the primary liaison with the Office of Technology (OIT) for the website. Serves as the Library’s representative on the Content Publishers Committee (CPC), which reports to the Web Steering Committee for the University. Collaborates closely with Library units, campus partners, external entities, and vendors to build bridges between the website and other platforms or online services.
Performs other duties related to Library Systems as needed to accomplish the goals of the department, unit, and library; participates in library committees related to primary job assignment as appropriate.
Other duties as assigned.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Full Time, 35 hours/week.
Sr. Coordinator/Analyst A.
This position is union-eligible.
This position is expected to be available occasionally outside of their work scheduled as needed.
- Commensurate with experience.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- 2 years experience using a Content Management system to manage websites.
- 2 years’ experience of progressively responsible experience including building or designing solutions for web based technology, working with cross functional teams, participating in project development, and leading progressively complex projects
- Knowledge of current best practices accessibility, and Section 508 compliance.
- Experience conducting user-experience analysis both through qualitative user observation and quantitative tools, particularly using Google Analytics.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills and be able to demonstrate past success working with multiple stakeholders in ways that were both inclusive and data-driven.
- Must be able to demonstrate initiative, good interpersonal-skills, responsiveness, and strong problem-solving abilities.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree or equivalent.
- Experience with Microsoft SharePoint, CommonSpot, a Content Management System by Paper Thin, experience developing APIs.
- Knowledge of server-side languages such as PHP or NodeJS.
- Experience with databases, preferably MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, or MySQL.
- Experience developing user-centered applications integrating RESTful API’s and front-end libraries (e.g. jQuery, ReactJS, AngularJS, Angular 2+).
- Experience with project lifecycles, source code management, and code reviews.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their families, several leadership development certificates, and has been recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly worksite. Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
How to apply
Published: Friday, March 31, 2023 16:33 UTC
Last updated: Friday, March 31, 2023 16:33 UTC