Haverford College invites applications for our full-time (37.5 hours per week), exempt, benefits-eligible Metadata Librarian opportunity.
Working in a highly collaborative and supportive environment, the Metadata Librarian is responsible for generating and maintaining through a variety of means bibliographic records in Tripod, the joint catalog of the Tri-College Library Consortium (Haverford, Bryn Mawr, and Swarthmore Colleges). The incumbent produces metadata for the Tri-College’s digital asset management systems and performs quality control on data input by student assistants. The incumbent trains student assistants in an assortment of metadata-related tasks and projects. The Metadata Librarian collaborates with others in the Haverford College Libraries and the libraries at Bryn Mawr and Swarthmore Colleges to develop best practices of mutual benefit to the consortium. The Metadata Librarian liaises with the Research, Instruction, and Digital Scholarship division on metadata for research projects. The Metadata Librarian maintains knowledge of emerging national trends and their implications for local practices.
- Performs original and copy cataloging for Quaker & Special Collections print materials, primarily rare books
- Applies metadata expertise to locally-developed digital collections, with a focus on Quaker & Special Collections, primarily manuscripts and printed texts
- Assists Head of Metadata Services/Visual Resources Librarian with original and copy cataloging of new materials for the general library collection
- Participates in metadata maintenance, revision, and remediation for library collections
- Trains and supervises student assistants
- Provides metadata support for research projects
- Develops, implements, and maintains local metadata policies and procedures in consultation with the Head of Metadata Services/Visual Resources Librarian and Quaker & Special Collections staff
- Contributes to authority control and classification
- Represents Haverford in Tri-College discussions of metadata issues
- Contributes to the smooth operation of the Haverford Libraries, and strives to create a supportive, healthy work environment
Line of Report: The Metadata Librarian reports to the Head of Metadata Services/Visual Resources Librarian.
Work Location: This position is eligible for on-site or hybrid work, pursuant to the College’s Work Location Policy. The schedule will include 3 days per week on campus; the 2 off-campus days shall be selected and consistent every week in agreement with the Head of Metadata Services/Visual Resources Librarian.
- MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution
- Thorough knowledge of and experience applying AACR2/RDA, MARC, LCC, LCSH
- Experience cataloging in OCLC and in an integrated library system
- Experience creating, applying, and manipulating non-MARC metadata using standards such as Dublin Core, DDI, EAD, or METS
- Interest in and awareness of metadata issues and trends
- Strong service orientation
- Strong and demonstrated commitment to working in and advancing an inclusive environment
- Demonstrated capacity for collaboration including the ability to foster and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and students
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Two or more years of experience working with metadata in an academic library
- Experience coding in Python or other programming language.
- Experience using MarcEdit and OpenRefine
- Experience working with the Alma library management system
- Experience cataloging materials for special collections
- Experience working with DSpace, Islandora, or other repository system
- Reading knowledge of one or more Western European languages
- Experience working with authority files
- Project management experience
- Experience with data management planning and data curation activities
- All faculty and staff (including contract workers) who are employed or engaged by Haverford College must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (to include a booster dose when eligible), and provide proof of vaccination, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise.
To Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) references by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Metadata-Librarian_R466. The application deadline is March 30, 2023. Application review will begin after the deadline has passed.
Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, and providing equal opportunities and access to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, disability, or veteran status. Women, non-binary and transgender individuals, people of color, Indigenous people, and those with other or multiple historically marginalized and/or underrepresented identities are especially encouraged to apply. Haverford College and our consortial partners are located on Lenape lands.
Published: Thursday, March 23, 2023 20:45 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, March 23, 2023 20:45 UTC