Integrated Library System Administrator
How to Apply: Go to https://www.ccpl.org/careers and fully complete the application form (including references). Please also submit an updated resume and cover letter with your application.
Integrated Library System Administrator (Librarian 3)
Location: Support Services
Reports To: Department Manager
The Integrated Library System Administrator (Librarian 3) is responsible for the development, implementation, support, and administration of the Charleston County Public Library’s integrated library system (ILS), supporting a variety of services including circulation, cataloging, acquisitions, serials, outreach, reporting and statistics, external interface functions, and discovery, in addition to running both routine and on-demand data clean-up reports and performing associated record updates. Work is performed with considerable independent judgment and initiative under the general direction of the Access & Discovery Manager. The ILS Administrator is also a collaborative member of the Access & Discovery Team, which includes Cataloging & Processing, AMH/RFID technologies, and the departmental Help Desk. Strong communication skills, attention to detail, a systematic approach to performing tasks, and focus on quality control are imperative to success in this position.
All duties listed below are essential job functions for which reasonable accommodations will be made. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or abilities deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related tasks as requested by the Branch/Department Manager subject to reasonable accommodations.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
· Following both in-house and industry standards, configures, and manages the efficient operation of the ILS, including application performance, administration, maintenance, user management, and upgrades to meet library requirements.
· Working both independently, with the Access & Discovery Manager, and with vendors, researches, analyzes, evaluates, plans, tests, troubleshoots, designs, coordinates, and implements all aspects of ILS interfaces and services. Documents and resolves system flaws.
· Maintains interfaces between the library's ILS and third-party products, in-house developed products, and web-based applications that require staff and patron authentication.
· May lead projects utilizing standard project management skills: creating work plans, risk management, conducting meetings, documentation, etc.
· Generates reports for relevant parties and departments within the library system (e.g., usage statistics, collection development reports, bibliographic reports, patron records, system maintenance reports, etc.).
· Meets deadlines with a high degree of accuracy and ethics for report requests that often require a quick turnaround.
· Writes and maintains complete and accurate ILS technical documentation for the use of ILS for the purpose of ensuring system functionality. Written documentation includes status reports, problem reports, procedures, and detailed documentation of system processes.
· Answers ILS questions from library staff and problem solves staff ILS issues through the departmental ticketing system/Help Desk.
· Participates in scheduled meetings, including but not limited to monthly Circulation Heads meetings, weekly Access & Discovery Team meetings, and monthly vendor consulting calls. Participates in related ILS technical support, user groups, and listservs.
· Performs other work duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Knowledge of database architecture and records management, information organization and retrieval, and Boolean logic in creating queries.
· Knowledge of library database organization and standard library operating procedures and terminology, related specifically to library technical services, patron registration, and circulation/access of library resources.
· Ability to use tact, courtesy and good judgement when communicating with coworkers, and the public.
· Ability to demonstrate knowledge, appreciation, and understanding of library materials, both print and electronic.
· Ability to communicate effectively and present ideas orally and in writing.
· Ability to carry out assignments independently and work collaboratively with a team.
Qualifications and Requirements:
· ALA-accredited Master of Library Science degree or equivalent degree and/or experience.
· Eligible for or hold South Carolina State Library certification.
· Progressively responsible experience performing ILS administration duties. Thorough knowledge of ILS software with demonstrated ability to perform operational process analysis and translate into systems requirements and specifications.
· Evidence of advanced analytical and problem-solving skills to construct logical and innovative solutions to complex technical problems.
· Experience with general library services (e.g. providing access to information in physical and electronic formats, reference, outreach, programming, etc.)
· Experience with SirsiDynix, including Symphony and Enterprise, and the BLUECloud suite, including BLUECloud Analytics and BLUECloud Cataloging, is preferred.
· Experience working with OCLC and performing data synchronizations is preferred. Intermediate to advanced experience with XML, MARC cataloging, and scripting is preferred. Experience with user experience and discovery interfaces is preferred. Public library experience is preferred.
· Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
· Must use tact, courtesy and good judgment when communicating with coworkers and internal customers.
· Must be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends and during emergencies (e.g. inclement weather events).
· Must have stamina for periods of walking, standing, reaching, and bending. Must be able to lift library materials including books, AV equipment, program materials and maneuver loaded book carts weighing approximately 50 to 100 pounds. Bilingual - English/Spanish a plus.
Benefits and Compensation:
Charleston County Public Library offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, 401k, and a Pension Plan.
$54,017.60 - $60,840.00 annually commensurate with education and experience.
How to apply
CCPL Human Resources
Published: Tuesday, March 21, 2023 14:45 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, March 21, 2023 14:45 UTC