Carnegie Mellon’s University Libraries' Research Information Management Services is a team that builds campus-wide integrated data systems that collect and present data related to the academic outputs of faculty and research staff across CMU’s campus. The data these systems house include scholarly publication records, grants records, research equipment records, teaching activities, committee service work, and other professional activities. At the center of this suite of data systems is a recently launched research information management system (RIMS), Symplectic Elements.
We are looking for a RIMS System Support Analyst to help us build data processing tools, reports, and data visualizations that will be used by dean’s offices, department chairs, and other administrators across campus as decision support tools that advise resource allocation decisions, campus committee assignments, and accreditation activities, as well as reappointment, promotion, and tenure decisions.
This is a dynamic opportunity for someone who thrives in an exciting and challenging work environment. You will contribute to the department by providing vital support by providing technical system administration and data processing support for the Elements Research Information Management platform and other associated projects in the areas of scholarly communication and research output/tracking. The RIMS System Support Analyst will be expected to be proficient in SQL, PHP, and Python. This person should also have system administration experience in both Windows and Linux environments, as well as experience leading VMs and docker containers.
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Write, update, and maintain the codebase for Elements data processing scripts
- Process, ingest, troubleshoot, and repair/expand Elements data feeds
- Build and maintain custom data importers
- Support data source integration for supplemental non-Elements data sources used in reporting activities
- Assist with user support requests related to RIMS
- Support faculty assessment exercises in the Elements platform
- Test new system versions
- Perform routine system maintenance activities
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the University Libraries. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued proficiencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to optimally interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Ability to multitask and work independently
- Excellent customer service skills
- PHP, Python, Microsoft Report Builder, Docker, SQL, Git, Linux, Windows
- BS / MS in Computer Science, Information Systems, Data Analytics, or another closely-related field
- Minimum of 2-3 years of system administration experience required
- Experience with GitLab/GitHub required
- Minimum of 1 year experience writing Python or PHP code required
- Minimum of 3 years of experience writing SQL queries required
- Experience working in both Microsoft and Linux environments required
- Experience with Microsoft Report Builder and SSRS preferred
How to apply
Published: Thursday, March 16, 2023 18:04 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, March 16, 2023 18:04 UTC