Title: Applications Developer
Department: Digital Services and Stewardship
Salary Range: $58,840 - 73,550 commensurate with experience
Benefits: 22 days of Annual Leave , 3 days of Personal Leave, 14 days of Holiday Leave per year, 15 in an election year, 15 days of Sick Leave, Tuition Remission, Retirement, and more.
As the largest university library system in the Washington D.C.-Baltimore area, the University of Maryland Libraries serve more than 37,500 students and 4,200 faculty of the flagship College Park campus. The University of Maryland Libraries share the teaching, learning and research goals of the university. Its role as a key academic resource is evident in its service to the academic community and its actionable strategic plan. Recent membership in the Big Ten Academic Alliance is particularly meaningful to the University Libraries and will further propel the university’s ascendancy in academic excellence.
The University of Maryland Libraries are committed to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility. We support university and library efforts to create a more just campus environment, understanding the unique, interdisciplinary focus of libraries and archives as collectors and curators of the historical, literary, artistic, and scientific record. We provide collections, services, and programs that reflect the diversity of our community, heighten cultural awareness, and incorporate the histories, experiences, and expressions of those who have been historically marginalized and/or underrepresented. We work to ensure equitable access to our facilities, resources, and services.
Nature of Work:
University of Maryland Libraries' Digital Services and Technologies (DST) Division provides systems support and development services to the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI) Library Consortium. The applications developer works independently and collaboratively with DST team members and staff at USMAI libraries to develop, configure, and extend existing and new applications that address the needs of the consortium's 17 libraries. Supported applications include a mix of commercial, open source, and locally-developed systems.
This position works across departments, working on initiatives of the USMAI team and participating in the procedures, practices, and knowledge sharing of the Software Systems Development and Research (SSDR) team. The position reports to and receives work assignments from the Head of Consortial Digital Initiatives.
The incumbent will participate in activities throughout all phases of the software development lifecycle, producing thorough documentation, managing applications using version control, and following team procedures and workflows for code release. UMD Libraries is a collaborative environment with opportunities to share knowledge and experiences with other developers and Libraries staff. All team members are relied upon to identify and recommend solutions that enhance the work of the USMAI team, staff of USMAI member libraries, and users at the consortium's libraries.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Extend and modify existing applications, utilizing APIs, various programming languages, and application frameworks
● 25% - Work with members of the USMAI team and USMAI member staff to perform system maintenance, troubleshooting, user support, and change management activities for supported applications; develop and implement scripts and other utilities to achieve improved efficiencies in operations; monitor applications to identify and resolve system performance issues
● 20% - Develop new applications in alignment with the goals and needs of USMAI and its member libraries; contribute to all stages of the software development lifecycle
● 10% - Perform business and systems analysis to align proposed and existing applications with consortial needs; participate and lead requirements gathering, specifications development, system design, and system evaluation activities; maintain current awareness of trends and issues in library information technology and supported applications
● 10% - Utilize project management tools such as JIRA to record and monitor progress; manage code using Git; monitor ticket-tracking systems for troubleshooting; produce and maintain thorough application documentation
5% - Acquire new skills and competencies through professional development courses, online tutorials, and webinars; experimentation with new technologies through proof-of-concept development
5% - Other duties as assigned to support USMAI initiatives.
Engages in shared-governance and/or service activities, as appropriate and/or in areas in which the individual is interested in volunteering.
Participates in library-, consortial- or campus-related task forces, committees, and initiatives, as assigned.
Participates in training related to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility, as provided by the University, the Libraries, and/or other recognized higher education or community organizations.
Contributes to achieving the University’s and/or the Libraries’ diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility goals.
Normal Office duties
Background Check: Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.
● Demonstrated understanding of tools for structured data processing, including relational databases, serialization formats (such as XML), and data focused languages (such as SQL or XSLT)
● Demonstrated ability to research and learn new technologies and programming languages
● Strong user service orientation
● Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
● Excellent interpersonal skills
● Excellent communications skills
● Working knowledge of UNIX/Linux
● Familiarity with object-oriented programming
● Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve complex technical issues
Familiarity with Kubernetes, including designing, deploying and administering applications in a Kubernetes framework
Familiarity with API design and integration including standard API approaches and proprietary vendor API approaches
EDUCATION: Required: •
Required: Bachelor’s Degree
Preferred: Bachelor's Degree or higher in a field related to information sciences, computer sciences and engineering, or information management
Required: Two years of programming experience
● Experience programming using Java or Python
● Prior experience supporting IT in an academic research library
● Experience with integrated library systems or library system platforms
● Experience with relational database design, development and use including Oracle, MySQL, and PostgreSQL
● Experience using version control software, especially Git
Experience with Ex Libris’ Alma or Primo.
For the full position description and faculty requirements, please go to http://www.lib.umd.edu/hr/employment-opportunities/staff-faculty-positions.
The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University requires that students, faculty, and staff on the UMD campus be vaccinated against COVID-19. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Applications: Electronic applications required. Please apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/102965 . No relocation assistance will be provided. You must be legally able to work in the United States; the University of Maryland Libraries will not sponsor individuals for employment. An application consists of a cover letter, which includes the source of advertisement, resume, and names/e-mail addresses of three references.
Best Consideration Date: April 5, 2023
Last updated: Wednesday, March 15, 2023 23:18 UTC