The NYU Health Sciences Library (NYUHSL) welcomes applicants for the position of Research Impact Librarian, a faculty appointment in the NYU Grossman School of Medicine, and would be part of the Research Data and Metrics team.
The Research Impact Librarian will be responsible for providing and promoting existing bibliometric services and resources, as well as developing new ones. The NYUHSL maintains a database of faculty publications, the Faculty Bibliography. The Faculty Bibliography feeds data into institutional dashboards and public facing faculty profiles, and is used for promotion and tenure reports, and custom reports upon request. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with the library’s Systems and Technology team to ensure and improve the accuracy of the database. Job responsibilities will include using SQL to extract data, and using other programming language(s)/tool(s) to analyze, and visualize data to produce custom reports at the faculty, departmental, and institutional levels. Our ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of methodological and ethical best practices for measuring and disseminating research impact. The successful candidate will have an understanding of the wide range of academic outputs (e.g., research literature, datasets, software) and impact indicators (e.g., Relative-Citation-Ratio, H-Index, altmetrics).
The Research Impact Librarian will be responsible for collaborating with a wide range of institutional stakeholders and analyzing bibliometric data in support of strategic requests from leadership. It will be their responsibility to advise institutional partners on the responsible use of metrics and the successful candidate must be able to communicate in an effective, timely, and diplomatic manner.
The Research Impact Librarian will assist in faculty efforts to maximize and effectively convey their research impact. Support will be through individual consultations, group instruction, and the development of resources. They will be expected to maintain an awareness of current best practices in bibliometrics and research impact assessment, and to present and publish on library service development and/or research. Additional responsibilities include serving on library and medical center committees or task forces as appropriate.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated and collaborative, have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, be capable of working in a highly flexible environment to build partnerships with institutional stakeholders and develop new services, and will have a commitment to fostering and supporting a diverse educational environment and workplace.
NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, and is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research, and medical education. The Health Sciences Library supports the mission and vision of NYU Langone Health through forging meaningful connections with our users, providing innovative services, a top-tier digital collection, user-focused spaces, and a strong commitment to excellence.
● Clear communication and explanation of publication metrics to institutional stakeholders such as promotion and tenure committees
● Collaborate on maintenance of library’s publication database
● Create custom research impact reports
● Collaborate with Library Systems & Technology team to ensure the best functionality of the Faculty Bibliography and related tools
● Manage growth and changes in the Faculty Bibliography and research impact services in response to changes in the research impact landscape
● Provide support and instruction for students and faculty on understanding and maximizing their research impact
● Support the library’s vision, mission, and strategic goals
● Provide assistance to users via the library’s ticketing system, email, in-person, and virtual consultation
● Master’s degree in library/information science or another relevant advanced degree
● Proficiency in SQL and one other programming language such as R or Python
● Proficiency in data cleaning, data analysis, and data visualization
● Evidence of analytical, organizational, and communication skills. Evidence of strong project and time management ability with a demonstrated ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and successfully complete projects on time.
● Knowledge of the biomedical research data management landscape
● Experience with machine learning, particularly natural language processing
● Experience in a biomedical research environment
Compensation and Benefits
The NYU School of Medicine offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, retirement benefits, time off, tuition benefits, wellness programs, and more. Salary range is $75,000 to $85,000, and is commensurate with experience. The Health Sciences Library provides mentoring and support for research, scholarship and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development. Interested candidates from outside the New York City area are encouraged to apply, flexible and remote work opportunities are negotiable.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references at: https://apply.interfolio.com/121068
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to applications received by March 10, 2023.
How to apply
Published: Saturday, February 11, 2023 00:07 UTC
Last updated: Saturday, February 11, 2023 00:07 UTC