Woodbury University invites applications for the position of Systems Librarian - Assistant, Associate or Full Professor reporting to the University Librarian. This individual plays an active leadership role in the planning, development, management and support of the library’s technological infrastructure, electronic resources, and web presence. Within a team environment, shared responsibilities also include reference services, collection development, and teaching.
Salary and Benefits
Faculty rank and salary are commensurate with teaching experience, professional background, and the degrees held; range is $65,480 to $117,984.00. Contract renewal and rank advancement at Woodbury are contingent upon satisfying departmental and university criteria, which include effective teaching, meaningful engagement through creative work, scholarship, and service to the University. Woodbury University is a non-tenure granting institution.
This position qualifies for University-sponsored employee benefit plans and programs including group health insurance, life insurance, tax-deferred annuity (retirement) plan, annual vacation (21 days), sick leave, and paid holidays. All benefits are subject to the eligibility requirements and conditions of each plan and program.
- Serve as administrator of the library’s OCLC WorldShare Management Services integrated library management system (ILS). Generate reports and statistics related to library usage and holdings. Monitor and implement new ILS features and updates.
- Troubleshoot and streamline technological aspects of departmental workflows, including those related to acquisitions, cataloging, circulation and inter-library loan.
- Lead the development and management of content for the library website and ensure accessibility and overall usability.
- Serve as administrator of the Springshare Libapps/Libguides platform.
- Manage library electronic resources. Assist with their evaluation and selection.
- Ensure discoverability of content in WorldCat Discovery (online catalog).
- Troubleshoot and streamline electronic resource access and serve as primary contact for vendors and their technical support services.
- Collect, organize and analyze statistics related to electronic resource platform usage.
- Evaluate license agreements and track electronic resource subscription due dates.
- Serve as administrator of OCLC EZproxy user authentication system.
- Serve as technology advisor to the University Librarian. Keep current with emerging technologies. Recommend digital services and subscriptions.
- Teach credit-bearing courses in information literacy. Develop and present lectures/workshops for classes in liaison departments, and others as assigned. Provide workshops and online database instruction for library users and personnel.
- Provide reference and research assistance. Covering some evening and weekend reference shifts may be required.
- Participate in collection development for one or more academic departments, and act as a liaison to constituents within those departments.
- Collaborate with technological (e.g. IT), academic, and administrative departments to produce dynamic and responsive information delivery and to ensure integration between library systems and other campus systems.
- Maintain strong working relationships with other administrative and academic departments.
- Provide training and technical support to library staff for new and existing software and services.
- Engage in scholarly and professional development activities related to job responsibilities and/or other aspects of librarianship.
- Participate in library, faculty, and university governance.
- Execute the responsibilities delineated above in such a way as to be able to meet Woodbury University’s criteria for faculty contract renewal and promotion.
- Masters degree in Library Science (MLS/MLIS) or equivalent from an American Library Association-accredited program. At least three years of library work experience, preferably in an academic library.
- Familiarity with MARC record format and RDA cataloging practices.
- Familiarity with web development/design, usability principles and accessibility standards; familiarity with content management systems such as Libguides/Libapps.
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS. Preferred: familiarity with PHP, XML/XSLT, SQL and API web services.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including the use of Excel for statistical analysis.
- Experience with the backend configuration of an integrated library system and proxy authentication system (OCLC’s WMS and EZproxy preferred).
- Experience managing a knowledge base and link resolver for electronic resource content discovery (OCLC’s WMS Collection Manager preferred).
- Familiarity with networking concepts such as security certificates (SSLs), domain name systems, etc.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills; ability to acquire new skills quickly.
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent collaborative working relationships with individuals and departments.
- Commitment to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced through library collections, services, and programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral form to different groups of stakeholders with different knowledge backgrounds.
- Evidence of commitment to professional development and contribution to librarianship’s body of knowledge, demonstrated by scholarly and professional activities.
- Understanding of diversity and equity-related issues pertaining to librarianship, library services, and/or library technologies, and higher education in general.
Application: Review of applications will begin Monday, March 13, 2023 and it will remain open until filled. Preferred start date for this position is May 1, 2023. Submissions must include:
- Current curriculum vitae listing education and employment history.
- Cover Letter detailing experience and education in relation to the job requirements.
- Contact information for at least three professional references.
- A diversity statement that is a depiction of your past experiences and explains how these experiences have contributed to your personal and professional growth.
All application materials must be submitted through the Woodbury University Job Board: https://woodbury.edu/about/people/employment-opportunities/
We are unable to consider email applications or application materials submitted via third-party platforms.
About Woodbury University
Located in Southern California at the global epicenter of creativity and influence, Woodbury University earns its reputation as a leading creative university thanks to nationally ranked programs in its School of Architecture and School of Media, Culture & Design. What makes the university unique is the array of unparalleled academic offerings in its School of Business and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The university has been named a College of Distinction for 7 years running and has earned NASAD (MCD, architecture), AACSB (business), WSCUC, ACBSP (business), CIDA (architecture), and NAAB (architecture) accreditations. With an 8:1 student-to-faculty ratio, students learn from one of the most professionally accomplished faculties in the world, intern and work at the most innovative companies in the world, and go on to build careers that others only dream of. Please follow the link to learn more about Woodbury University: https://woodbury.edu/about/about-woodbury/facts-and-figures
How to apply
Published: Saturday, February 11, 2023 00:08 UTC
Last updated: Saturday, February 11, 2023 00:08 UTC