The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a full-time Systems Technician to join the IT staff at the Operations Center in downtown Dayton. The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated individual who can provide exceptional technical support to our staff, and ultimately to our patrons. The successful candidate will collaborate well with others to solve problems and can also work well independently. This staff member will be preparing new computer workstations for the public and staff. They will also visit our various branches to replace equipment and troubleshoot problems. If you are customer-focused and skilled in technical support, we would love to hear from you!
DML is committed to cultivating inclusive environments and a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. As such, we encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply, in addition to members from other marginalized groups.
Additional consideration may be given to individuals that are fluent or proficient in any non-English languages used in Montgomery County including Spanish, Mandarin, French, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, Urdu, Russian, Tagalog, Kinyarwanda, Arabic, Turkish, Swahili, and American Sign Language (ASL).
Essential Job Duties
- Troubleshoots microcomputer hardware and software problems. Assists staff with problems and responds to questions concerning microcomputer hardware and software. Contacts hardware and software support as necessary. Keeps Systems Manager aware of system malfunctions, user problems, etc.
- Monitors network operations, integrated library system (ILS) servers, Windows file and print servers, Linux web servers, consoles and storage devices. Detects errors or equipment failure as indicated from user help desk calls or automated alerts from Orion and Nagios monitoring systems and makes adjustments when possible.
- Assists with the installation of software, hardware, and peripheral equipment including printers and scanners.
- Assists with upgrades to microcomputer hardware and software.
- Clones and prepares new PCs for deployment. Helps deploy and rotate new machines for old ones.
- Performs system and server shutdown and reboot in accordance with established procedures as set forth by the Systems Manager.
- Collects any pertinent backup media and secures them in an on-site and off-site fire safe.
- Performs account maintenance as needed.
- Performs clerical duties as needed, maintains records such as error logs and batch reports and orders supplies.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required. Ability to drive motor vehicle.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one-year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Thorough knowledge of computer operations and systems hardware/software.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret instruction manuals and policy and procedure manuals. Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from end users. Ability to apply active listening skills.
- Knowledge of available and emerging technologies and their application to library services.
- Ability to occasionally use standard office equipment and handheld tools. Ability to frequently use phone and computer equipment.
- Occasional mandatory overtime and on-call support required.
- Schedule will include day, evening and Saturdays.
Compensation and Benefits: The starting hourly wage is $18.07. A full benefits package is offered that includes health, dental, vision and life insurance, OPERS retirement, and paid time off.
Application Process: Please send your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at email@example.com. This position is open until filled.
The Dayton Metro Library is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
How to apply
Published: Friday, January 20, 2023 19:41 UTC
Last updated: Friday, January 20, 2023 19:41 UTC