The UConn Library seeks a collaborative and proactive professional to become part of its Digital Imaging Lab which provides specialized imaging of various archival and special collection materials. Under the direction of the Head of Digital Imaging and Conservation, the Digital Imaging Technician works to handle and capture collection items such as books, manuscripts, various photographic media, maps, drawings, and artworks to nationally recognized digitization guidelines.
As an active member of the Library and guided by our Strategic Framework of Connect, Empower, and Engage the successful candidate will make a positive contribution to a culture of inclusion and respect in all interactions within the Library and across the University and will exemplify the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and justice and the UConn Library values of kindness and trust, curiosity and inquiry, equity and inclusion, and having fun.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs digital image capture and post-production at efficient throughput rates to consistently high levels of imaging performance according to established lab standards and national cultural heritage imaging guidelines.
- Serves as the supervisor and trainer for approximately five part-time student employee lab photographers.
- Maintains and updates internal lab training documentation and workflow tracking systems.
- Conducts regular quality control measures on the lab’s imaging outputs.
- Calibrates, characterizes, and maintains the lab’s digital imaging systems’ hardware and software.
- In coordination with the Head of Digital Imaging and Conservation and Conservator assesses the feasibility of proposed digital capture projects with stakeholders and tracks and schedules resulting project efforts.
- Assists in the cleaning and maintenance of the Digital Imaging Lab.
Shared Expectations for Student Supervisors
- Hires, schedules, trains, and supervises student employees.
- Determines work assignments and provides feedback to each student employee.
- Approves student timecards and resolves time reporting and/or student payroll issues in a timely manner.
- Ensures student payroll expenditures remain within the approved budget.
- Maintains current student employee personnel records.
- Adheres to the policies and procedures as outlined in the UConn Library Student Employee Handbook and the UConn Student Employment Guide.
Shared Expectations for All Staff
- Applies the principles of the Library’s Strategic Framework and core values through active contribution and cooperation in achieving Library, Area, and Unit priorities and operational goals.
- Demonstrates reliable and effective written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills to provide excellent professional service and collaborate with other departments and divisions within the Library and across the University.
- Demonstrates active learning in and communication of ongoing trends and developments related to professional and positional responsibilities.
- Works effectively in current office applications, software, and communication tools as employed by the UConn Library and the University of Connecticut.
- Exhibits appreciation of, sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse working environment, inclusive of social, economic, cultural, ideological, gender, racial, ethnic, and any other underrepresented backgrounds.
- Performs duties parallel to position responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of three years of related professional experience.
- Professional experience using photography-based digitization systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Federal Agencies Digital Guidelines Initiative (FADGI) imaging performance guidelines and their use.
- Experience in safe handling techniques of cultural heritage materials.
- Cross-platform experience with image capture applications and image editing commands.
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to provide excellent supervision.
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and justice.
- Strong collaboration, oral and written communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated high proficiency with computer and imaging systems hardware and software troubleshooting, maintenance, and upgrades.
- Project management experience and the ability to work within deadlines in a high-volume production environment.
- Experience working in a cultural heritage institution environment.
UConn is one of the top public research universities in the nation, with more than 30,000 students pursuing answers to critical questions in labs, lecture halls, and the community. Knowledge exploration throughout the University’s network of campuses is united by a culture of innovation. An unprecedented commitment from the State of Connecticut ensures UConn attracts internationally renowned faculty and the world’s brightest students. As a vibrant, progressive leader, UConn fosters a diverse and dynamic culture that meets the challenges of a changing global society.
UConn is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. The diversity of students, faculty, and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians, and salutatorians who make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top public research universities.
This is a full-time, onsite position based on the UConn Storrs campus. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary is dependent upon education, qualifications, and experience. This position is covered by the University of Connecticut Professional Employee’s Association, please see Career Paths for information on position classifications and salary bands. Other rights, terms, and conditions of employment are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #497055 to upload a detailed resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates must address in their cover letter and/or resume how their candidacy meets the position responsibilities, minimum qualifications, and preferred qualifications (if applicable). To be considered, complete applications must be submitted by the end of the day, February 1, 2023.
Nominations and inquiries should be sent in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on February 1, 2023.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Jan 04 2023 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Feb 01 2023 Eastern Standard Time
How to apply
Published: Thursday, January 5, 2023 20:36 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, January 5, 2023 20:36 UTC