The Information Technology (IT) Server Manager is responsible for leading the server team, managing the server and enterprise storage infrastructure, and providing technology architecture, IT security and high level security problem resolution expertise: to ensure a functioning and optimal computing infrastructure across the Boston Public Library’s branch library locations, the central library and its departments, across both internal and public computing programs and services, and encompassing all online and onsite IT services.
The IT Server Manager directly manages the server staff. The IT Server Manager will act internally and externally for the IT department as the deputy CTO as needed and on tasks and projects as assigned. This role will work closely and collaboratively with the IT Network, Server, Web Services and Applications Managers in particular to ensure a well-coordinated delivery of IT services to internal and external customers. This role is also responsible for the on-call schedule, team scheduling, oversees personnel, and participates in strategic and budgetary planning procedures, including BPL’s participation in the Federal eRate program. This is both a hands-on technical and managerial position. The position is also expected to maintain currency in cutting edge server, storage and security technology and service delivery models, and provide appropriate leadership to BPL’s IT department in this area.
The IT Server Manager is responsible for maintaining the Data Center, Server, Storage inventory; for procuring, supporting and delivering maintenance for included equipment and software licenses. They maintain vendor relationships with key service providers that support and provide technology services for the BPL infrastructure.
This role is responsible for the optimal operation of all server and storage environments. It is also responsible for escalation management from technical support and directly from partner organizations that consume services, and does so with a focus on maintaining high levels of availability and recoverability.
Chief Technology Officer or delegate
Scope of Responsibility
Under immediate supervision and in accordance with standard policy and practices performs any or all of the following;
- Manages the server team, including responsibility for hiring and personnel performance reviews and evaluations
- Is responsible for managing the server equipment and services, manages the data center facility and storage environments
- Provides direct technical leadership in the server and security disciplines
- Manages the storage area network (SAN) infrastructure
- Manages the virtual machine (VM) environment
- Works with the Network manager and oversees the infrastructure support services, including DNS, DHCP, the IP Schema
- Assists in managing the VOIP system and infrastructure
- Manages the key BPL IT services such as Messaging Systems, Databases and Security Directories (predominantly Exchange, SQL and Active Directory.
- Manages key vendor relationships especially in the area of server services
- Defines, implements, manages procedure documents and communicates infrastructure access, security, systems management and problem resolution procedures. Ensures support procedures and formal and informal SLAs are up to date and consistent with current business and operating procedures.
- Is also responsible for ensuring compliance with policy as tasks are executed, in conjunction with IT Management and the Technical Support team
- Is responsible for timely and proactive communication with end users, department team members and management teams with respect to problems, problem resolution and new deployments of technology, including network configuration and network topology
- Analyzes and reports on server monitors, performance and capacity. When needed, performs packet capturing and analysis for connection, performance and security troubleshooting
- Is responsible for the evaluation, planning, procurement, provisioning and deployment of new infrastructure computing technology is the primary person responsible for triage of, assignment of and is accountable for resolution of server and security problems and acts as point of escalation for problem resolution and hand off to vendors when problems cannot be resolved internally
- Performs routine to complex technical work associated with the installation, configuration, administration and maintenance of server systems as well as related software and applications
- Is responsible for managing server software, hardware, software license inventory and maintenance of appropriate files, records and statistics relating to areas of responsibility and insures compliance with Library policy
- Advises staff on new technologies and services and assists with training as required - demonstrates for staff and trains staff in use of new infrastructure services
- Provides direct customer service to public and staff as needed
- Undertakes local travel as required
- Participates in professional development and continuing education opportunities
- Participates in orientation, training, and supervision of staff members in their duties and responsibilities
- Makes recommendations on the evaluation of personnel and on appropriate action, and executes same as appropriate
- Assumes responsibilities for proper functioning of the Department in absence of the CTO and as delegated
- Participates in rotating on-call IT support schedule
- Performs related duties as required
- Strong technical architecture and server/storage management skills
- Strong management, inter-personal and communication skills
- Strong task and project management skills
- Deep knowledge of server, storage, virtualization and security technology and industry standard best practices
- Strong knowledge of standards and processes for the optimal structuring and running of IT infrastructure services
- Ability to recognize and set priorities and to use initiative and independent decision-making skills
- Ability to organize, direct, motivate and evaluate services team, mentor others, and foster a team environment
- Excellent communication, public speaking and presentation skills are essential.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications:
Education - Bachelor’s Degree, VMware Certification (VCP/VCAP) ; Storage Certification (SNIA/EMC) required; Microsoft Certification (MCITP) in Windows Server / Exchange; Industry Standard Security Certification (eg. CISSP). In exceptional instances, specialized education, training and/or experience may be substituted for part or all of the educational requirements.
Experience - Minimum of at least five years of managing staff in a server support function, plus direct technology-related experience in the server (vm, ad, exchange) or storage area (emc, vmware, sun); experience in troubleshooting hardware, software and ability to diagnose and provide solutions within the IT infrastructure environment.
- Position schedule may require working evenings and weekends.
- Demonstrated ability to accept responsibility, work under pressure and to interact positively and efficiently with the public.
- Demonstrated superior customer service skills; ability to communicate clearly and in a concise manner, superior work habits, ability to prioritize work, strong organizational skills, and good mechanical aptitude. Ability to manage and lead people, to hire, motivate, and separate from staff successfully, to work in a changing progressive environment.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve, time management and supervise peers and subordinates.
- Residency - Must be a resident of the City of Boston upon the first day of hire.
- CORI - Must successfully clear a Criminal Offenders Record Information check with the City of Boston.
- Ability to exercise good judgement and focus on detail as required by the job.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: Nonunion/PM-6
Hours per week: 35
How to apply
Published: Sunday, January 1, 2023 22:13 UTC
Last updated: Sunday, January 1, 2023 22:13 UTC