BOSTON ATHENAEUM ASSOCIATE SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The Boston Athenæum seeks an Associate Systems Administrator to join the Information Technology (IT) department. Reporting to the Information Technology Manager, the Associate Systems Administrator will serve as part of a small, but dynamic team that manages and maintains the Athenæum’s computers, networks, servers, and cloud-based systems. Members of the IT team wear many technology hats and as such the Athenæum provides a good environment for anyone looking to work with a variety of technology.
● Provide desktop and laptop computer support (installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and decommissioning).
● Help with printer selection, installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
● Provide backup in managing system servers and network equipment.
● Help manage user accounts on various systems (Active Directory, GSuite, etc.).
● Maintain and perform updates to the main Wordpress website as well as associated sites.
● Help manage, configure, and customize cloud resources, including the integrated library system (Voyager), the digital asset manager (CONTENTdm), the special collections management software (Aeon), the art collections management software (CollectionSpace), and the CRM (Salesforce).
● Help administer the proxy server (EZproxy) to provide offsite access to electronic resources for members.
● Perform data backup and recovery.
● Maintain computer equipment inventory.
● Provide documentation and training to staff as needed.
● Create Microsoft Access database queries and reports as necessary.
● Write or update scripts (such as Bash or Python).
● Provide audiovisual support backup.
● Lift and move computer equipment as needed, including monitors, computers, printers, and servers.
● Work some weekday evenings/Saturdays as necessary (infrequent).
● Perform related duties as assigned.
● Submit to and pass background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment verifications and Registry of Motor Vehicles (if applicable).
● Bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred.
● Three or more years’ professional experience in computer support. A combination of experience and advanced education could be substituted, such as a MLIS.
● Proficiency with website management and development; knowledge of Apache, HTML, CSS, and content management systems (Wordpress preferred).
● In-depth knowledge of Windows desktop and server operating systems (10, 2016 and newer) as well as Linux (Red Hat or Ubuntu preferred).
● Advanced PC troubleshooting and repairing skills (both hardware and software).
● Experience with user and computer management (Microsoft Active Directory preferred).
● Ability to instruct staff members on Microsoft Office (2013 and newer) and troubleshoot their problems.
● Strong customer service skills with the ability to effectively communicate technology concepts to staff.
● Ability to lift and move equipment weighing up to 65 pounds, including monitors, computers, printers, and servers.
● Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others in a professional manner.
● Ability to exercise good judgment, confidentiality, and discretion.
● Commitment to fostering a workplace culture of teamwork, diversity, and inclusion.
● Knowledge of network switches and routers.
● Comfortable writing Windows batch scripts and Unix/Linux shell scripts.
● Working knowledge of Python.
● Experience with integrated online library systems.
● Experience with Salesforce.
● Familiarity with virtualization and Xen.
● Experience with GSuite -- administration a plus.
● Demonstrated experience with databases (such as MS Access, MySQL, Oracle).
● Experience with Dell servers and switches.
Research shows that women and people from underrepresented groups often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that someone meets 100% of the qualifications for a role. If much of this job description describes you, then please apply for this role.
Why work at the Boston Athenaeum?
The Boston Athenaeum is committed to engage a wider and more diverse audience. To make that possible, we have begun a variety of new initiatives including a major expansion project with a reimagined children’s library. We are looking for a colleague who will be excited by the opportunity to use our strengths and advance the Athenaeum’s future as a central part of our cultural landscape.
Beyond the opportunity to work amongst the collections at one of the most distinguished libraries in the nation alongside a passionate and welcoming team, working at the Boston Athenaeum comes with plenty of other perks. Some of our benefits include:
· Paid time off and sick days.
· Competitive 403B package
· Paid parental leave.
· Comprehensive medical and dental insurance
· Life Insurance
· Commuter benefits
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume, including current availability through this link:
The Boston Athenæum is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals of diverse backgrounds to apply and are committed to hiring individuals who value a diverse and inclusive work environment. The Boston Athenæum is also committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment. To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Manager, Nora Conley at 617-720-7630 or firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT THE BOSTON ATHENAEUM
Founded in 1807 as “a fountain, at which all, who choose, may gratify their thirst for knowledge,” the Boston Athenæum has evolved into a beloved subscription library, specializing in history, biography, literature, and art. 5,000 Households maintain active memberships in the Athenæum, and enjoy a range of services from individualized reference assistance to superb children’s programming, from discussion groups to curated selections of digital and print resources. Tourists and scholars from around the world consult the quarter-million rare items in the collection, which includes George Washington’s personal library; an important collection of early American portraits; rich holdings related to the Civil War and documenting New England’s built environment; and the Athenæum’s own historical archives, attesting to the institution’s role in American arts and letters. Each year, the Athenæum offers hundreds of cultural programs— including lectures, concerts, performances, exhibitions, and tastings—within its exquisite National Historic Landmark structure, widely regarded as one of the most beautiful libraries in the world.
How to apply
Published: Sunday, January 1, 2023 22:13 UTC
Last updated: Sunday, January 1, 2023 22:13 UTC