The Center for Open Science (COS) is undertaking a project (to be announced) to continue work on automating and validating methods for assessing credibility of research claims in the social-behavioral and health-related sciences. COS will (1) extend the dataset to include evidence from preprints and health-related science evidence, and (2) conduct a competition to engage the machine-learning community to train and test algorithms by leveraging a large, enriched dataset of research claims and evidence. The project is expected to run from now to September 2025. Additionally, COS is engaged in a longitudinal project to investigate human flourishing across the globe (https://hfh.fas.harvard.edu/global-flourishing-study) and this role will assist in implementing data access requests from external researchers.
The Data Manager will be responsible for maintaining, adding to, and sharing the large dataset of claims and evidence. The role is responsible for supporting workflows of claim extraction with the research team, merging claims data with existing data, coordinating sharing of claims data and ‘ground-truth’ data with other external collaborators to enhance with expert assessment and for training and testing of algorithms, and sharing data from the longitudinal project with external researchers. This role is responsible for supporting and implementing ongoing research projects and will work with other COS teams to understand current opportunities and to provide research insights to advance our mission.
- Creating, curating, maintaining, and documenting dataset(s) of scholarly claims
- Enhancing the claims data with related data from a variety of scholarly databases using and developing automated techniques to keep the dataset up-to-date
- Delivering project data to relevant partners, and, in turn, receiving and integrating partner data into the larger project dataset(s)
- In consultation with senior project personnel and external partners, help design and implement AI/ML competitions for assessing claim credibility.
- Receive datasets and assisting in developing codebooks from the global flourishing study (GFS); prepare them for public release; and manage and document the OSF project spaces hosting GFS data
- Provide feedback and suggestions to improve the GFS workflow in collaboration with other team and stakeholders
- Provide support to researchers using the GFS data.
- Across projects, assist in the development of and monitoring of key performance indicators
- Across projects, maintaining overall data integrity for project success
- Across projects, maintaining permissions for data access
- Demonstrated expertise with data managing, data wrangling, data merging, and data documentation
- Experience with scholarly databases and APIs preferred
- Experience with and practical understanding of machine learning techniques preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to transparency, rigor, and reproducibility in research
- Highly efficient and task-oriented
- Attention to detail and very strong documentation and workflow management skills
- Time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to work independently and in coordination with a team for advancing shared objectives on a very assertive timeline
- Ability to prioritize, make decisions, problem-solve, and ask for help
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 1-3 years’ experience (Master’s degree preferred) in data science or closely related field.
- Experience leading a data management effort on a large project is preferred.
Physical Demands/Work Hours/Travel:
- This is largely a sedentary role. Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- COS supports flexibility in work scheduling. Individuals who would like to work outside a 9am - 5pm Eastern Time (ET) schedule must work with their managers to establish core hours of availability. Modifications for different time zones will be considered for team collaboration.
- Occasional travel is possible for this position.
- Salary range for this position is $55,000 - $65,000 annual
- 401(k) with employer match. COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%)
- Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan
- 15 days vacation in year one
- 11 paid holidays a year
- Option to enroll in Health and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition as well as for the employee’s own serious health condition.
- Remote work option or modern local office space in Charlottesville, VA with a Macbook and Google Workspace environment
Please apply by submitting a resume. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to email@example.com.
COS has operations in the following states: Virginia, Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, California, New Jersey, Maryland, Utah, Massachusetts, New York, Wisconsin and Oregon. Applicants from any state may apply but preference will be given to those who already reside in a current state of operation or are willing to relocate.
COS is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also strongly encourage applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, December 8, 2022 18:00 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, December 8, 2022 18:00 UTC