DescriptionKent State University Libraries seeks an innovative Systems Librarian to lead its Systems Department. The Head of Systems will continue to advance a vision for technology operations in a changing environment, advancing library computing capabilities throughout the University, the OhioLINK consortium, and the profession. The Head will work with all library departments to ensure the effective deployment and use of technology, and cooperate with the University's computer center on university-wide services and issues that affect the Libraries' systems and services. The Head will foster professional development, collegial relationships, and continuing education among the department's faculty and staff.
The department employs one systems librarian, six technical staff, and several student assistants. It manages the Innovative Interfaces (III) ILS, ILLiad, and ERes systems for nine campuses; manages 600 PCs in multiple locations; supports three electronic classrooms; provides support for digital initiatives; provides support for the Libraries' public web presence; and develops and maintains a staff intranet that provides an extensive array of custom library applications developed in-house by the three full-time programmers on staff. A migration to the III Sierra platform is planned for Spring 2013.
This is a 12-month, tenure-track faculty position; the incumbent will be required to meet reappointment, promotion and tenure standards.
Contract Length 12 month
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Systems and Technical Services, the Head of Systems will:
- Coordinate configuration and use of the Libraries' integrated library system,
- Contribute to library-wide planning, development and assessment of automation services,
- Help evaluate and select hardware and software systems for the library,
- Support the Libraries' web sites by coordinating the management of local servers and applications and coordinating interconnections with the University's content management system, the Springshare LibGuides system, and the library intranet,
- Develop annual objectives for the department and monitor progress towards meeting them,
- Evaluate department faculty and staff,
- Coordinate all automation inventory, budget, specifications, deployment, and maintenance for all library areas including the library classrooms, public spaces, and staff desktops,
- Maintain current knowledge of trends and issues affecting library and university computing systems,
- Engage with professional organizations that track developing issues affecting the technologies employed by academic libraries
- Leadership and Supervision
- ALA-accredited Master's degree,
- Significant post-degree experience in an academic or research library,
- Library supervisory experience,
- Familiarity with digital library applications and standards,
- Management and/or configuration experience with library technologies,
- Effective communication skills and the ability to foster partnerships and work collaboratively,
- Ability to meet faculty reappointment, tenure and promotion standards.
- Experience managing a complex library information technology department or team,
- Additional degree in computer science or related field,
- Experience with Innovative Interfaces ILS,
- ILS administration experience,
- Experience supervising technical staff employing various technologies, including Linux, PHP, Perl, MySQL, XML, and CSS,
- Previous experience in a position with responsibility for purchasing and supporting server software and hardware,
- Knowledge of cataloging and metadata standards,
- Knowledge of open source options for academic libraries.
(Unique characteristics or needs of the position) Must pass a security check.
For a complete description of this position and to apply online, visit our jobsite at jobs.kent.edu.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Kent State University, a public research university located in Kent, Ohio, is one of the largest universities in Ohio with an enrollment of 42,185 students in the nine-campus system. Kent State offers over 300 degree programs (250 baccalaureate, 40 associates, 50 masters, and 23 doctoral programs) including notable programs in nursing, liquid crystals, business, history, library science, aeronautics, journalism and fashion design. Kent State is ranked by the Carnegie Foundation as one of the top 77 public research universities in the US and one of the top 76 in community engagement.
Work Schedule This is a 12 month, tenure track position; the incumbent will be required to meet reappointment, promotion and tenure standards.
Disclaimer The intent of this description is to illustrate the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and should not be interpreted to describe all the specific duties and responsibilities that may be required in any particular position. Directly related education/experience beyond the minimum stated may be substituted where appropriate at the discretion of the Appointing Authority. Kent State University reserves the right to revise or change job duties, job hours, and responsibilities.
Position Category Faculty
Specific Contact or Mailing Instructions: All vitas and supporting documents must be submitted via the Kent State University jobs website: http://jobs.kent.edu. Please attach a letter of application, vita and contact information for 3 professional references.
The position will remain open until filled. Anticipated appointment date is June 1, 2013. Applications received by February 15, 2013 will receive first consideration.
Anticipated appointment date is June 1, 2013. Applications received by February 15, 2013 will receive first consideration. For a complete description of this position, see job #989924 at http://jobs.kent.edu . Applications must be submitted online and should include a letter of application, vita, and contact information for at least three professional references.
Published: Friday, January 11, 2013 06:05 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC