Search Experience Designer - Search.gov
Do you enjoy logic puzzles and helping people? Come join the team at Search.gov, as we build the bridge for the public seeking help, services, and information from the government! Why? Glad you asked!
* Our Search Experience Designer position is a blend of UX design, Service design, Product design, and even some Content design.
* You'll get to work with teams across government, helping them design and create the right search experiences for their audiences' needs.
* You'll work with our development team to design features that address searchers' and agencies' evolving needs.
* You'll analyze governmentwide search data and turn those insights into new features nobody has thought of yet.
* It's important work, and we have fun doing it!
This is a GREAT job for a librarian / info sci person, so, in your resume, please make sure your work with technology, information / data / knowledge management software, user research and needs assessment, solution design, writing and communication strategy (content design) etc., is crystal clear so the HR screeners can see a match between your experience and the job posting language.
We’re hiring at the GS-13 or -14 level.
Apply for GS-13 here: https://join.tts.gsa.gov/join/tts-designer13/
Apply for GS-14 here: https://join.tts.gsa.gov/join/tts-designer/
If you apply, please mention Dawn McCleskey, as the person who referred you.
This is a term limited appointment, with renewal options up to 8 years.
Role title: Search Experience Designer - Search.gov
Search.gov is a search engine provided by the General Services Administration to federal agencies to support the search experiences on public government websites. We work to connect people with the information and services they need from the government, and to make it easy for agencies to design and manage their search experiences. Our system is a Ruby on Rails on Elasticsearch stack, but this role is not expected to contribute code. The Search Experience Designer will be responsible for ensuring successful indexing of agency customer content and a high quality searcher experience. Background in information science, knowledge management, data management and analysis, and web publishing is desired. Comfort managing complex projects or processes using multiple tools is required.
Objective 1: Serve as the primary owner of our indexing workflows
- Evaluate the search needs of agency customers and their audiences, taking a user-centered approach to requirements and analysis, and recommending options that will support the needs of both the agency and their searchers.
- Evaluate agency customer websites and other web properties for #SEO best practices, perform audits and gap analysis, provide technical recommendations for improving SEO to agency web teams.
- Ensure the right content is presented to searchers.
Communicate with Search.gov developers as needed to support agency indexing needs.
Objective 2: Coaching and communication
- Serve as point person on indexing related support questions from customers.
- Write and maintain SEO and indexing content for the Search.gov website.
- Contribute requirements and stories related to indexing and search functions for our software development cycle.
Objective 3: Collaborate with teams across GSA and at other agencies on search and SEO efforts, including supporting relevant law and policy
- Provide expertise on search engine optimization.
- Contribute to maintaining the list of official government websites (outside of .gov and .mil).
How to apply
Published: Saturday, October 15, 2022 02:09 UTC
Last updated: Saturday, October 15, 2022 02:09 UTC